Single Speeder

New question here. rotor truing - 185mm BB7's

Hello All,

I am just about finished with building my Jabberwocky up and the only thing that hasn't gone perfect is the rotor on my rear wheel. It's barely rubbing and I think with some riding it will wear so that it doesn't make noise. It is bad enough that I cant make a correction to the pads large enough to stop the noise. My front rotor is perfectly true doesn't rub a bit. They are both new out of the box. I saw the drumstix and the park truing tool. When I use my crescent the whole rotor seems to flex and I'm left pretty much right where I started.

So do you guys think I should ride it awhile and see if it corrects, buy the drumstix tools or park tool and work on it some more so it's perfect like the front, or would it be worth having it trued up at the shop (assuming with the trails around here it shouldn't go out of true again). Man I wish it was perfect like the front. The noise isn't that bad but aside from that the bike would be silent.

I did spend some time read the FAQ and I would appreciate any further direction... can i get it done with a cresent wrench? Ugh! What do you guys think? When i work on it flexes so much I just don't think I'm isolating the area effectively.

Thanks for any time,

Nate

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ETP2008
    Hello All,

I am just about finished with building my Jabberwocky up and the only thing that hasn't gone perfect is the rotor on my rear wheel. It's barely rubbing and I think with some riding it will wear so that it doesn't make noise. It is bad enough that I cant make a correction to the pads large enough to stop the noise. My front rotor is perfectly true doesn't rub a bit. They are both new out of the box. I saw the drumstix and the park truing tool. When I use my crescent the whole rotor seems to flex and I'm left pretty much right where I started.

So do you guys think I should ride it awhile and see if it corrects, buy the drumstix tools or park tool and work on it some more so it's perfect like the front, or would it be worth having it trued up at the shop (assuming with the trails around here it shouldn't go out of true again). Man I wish it was perfect like the front. The noise isn't that bad but aside from that the bike would be silent.

I did spend some time read the FAQ and I would appreciate any further direction... can i get it done with a cresent wrench? Ugh! What do you guys think? When i work on it flexes so much I just don't think I'm isolating the area effectively.

Thanks for any time,

Nate
    Most of the time I just use my fingers and a clean rag. Will add a crescent wrench if I have to. It work the same as the truing forks.

It is not difficult.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Clean rag and a small crescent wrench is what I use. I can get it close with my fingers but I need the wrench to get it spot on.

Single Speeder
    Okay then I'm doing something wrong for sure

I'll try it again

Appreciate the encouragement