Thread: rotor trueness?

mtbr member

New question here. rotor trueness?

Hello i had a question last week about a scrape in my rotor, which i was able to sand out, per advice from this column (thanks). My question now is about trueness, while the sanding made it better, it's not perfect. When i lay the rotor on a flat surface to check for trueness, if i push down on the one side, the other raises about 1 to 4 mm. I know this means the rotor is bent but is this enough to cause a slight catching when i spin the rear wheel? Or are my problems somewhere else, the brakes are magura julies. When i spin the rear wheel hard, it goes maybe 4-6 rotations before stopping, making it not terrible but certainly not perfect.

thanks for the help.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Remount the rotor and secure the bolts to their proper torque, then carefully "true" the rotor using a crescent wrench and/or gloved hands, using the caliper as a guide. It doesn't take much effort and the results are obvious.

mtbr member
    Will do, i guess that should have been obvious to me, thanks.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    Will do, i guess that should have been obvious to me, thanks.
    I should also add that on my wheel truing stand, I can use one of the "feelers" just like I do on a rim. Actually, it wouldn't be too time consuming to rig something similar up to your frame's stays instead of relying strictly on eyeballing the gap between the pad and the rotor.

Members who have read this thread: 0