mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New question here. Rotor too thin for caliper?

LBS installed new Juicy Ultimates.
    Rear 160mm rotor:

Front 185mm rotor:

The pad track on the front rotor is on the "rotor legs" as well. Is this ok?
    I have some vibration issues with my new brakes. I have just ridden them for a day so it may not be a problem, but the front rotor pad track doesn't seem right to me.

What do you guys think? Nothing to worry about... or?

Thanks
    Combatjojje

On MTBR hiatus :(
    So you're asking whether the brake track is too narrow? Or if the rotor is too thin?

If you think the pad contacting the rotor spokes may be causing vibration, with the Avid CPS mounting, it's quick and painless to throw a couple of M5 washers under the caliper. This will bump the rotor out a bit, and you can check to see if the vibration goes away.

From your photo, nothing looks alarming, but you may be on to something given the slight amount of spoke contact.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I agree with Nate... both rotors look ok...
    Nate's suggestion of spacing the front out a bit if it is vibrating... that is the usual "squeal/wobble fix" for Juicy brakes..

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Excuse me for my poor english - I mean that the "pad track width" on the rotor seems too narrow, but you guys misunderstood me correctly so to speak,
    Thanks for the tip - I will try the washers today and let you know how it went.

Meh.
    If the pads have worn unevenly, the vibration will not go away. Take out the pads and sand in a figure-8 to resurface them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a 8 inch disc up front and a 6" in the rear, I see the same effect. In front the spokes are wearing of. In the rear there is a nice path. With a 8 inch disc in the rear I had a lot of problems with vibration wich couldn't be solved with washers so I switched to a 6 inch disc.
    If you compare the track width of the 6 and 8 inch disc you will see that the 6 inch is wider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah, that's right - the track width is 1-2mm narrower which is kind of weird since I see no benefit of pads wearing on the spokes.
    I get a lot of "pulsating" and vibration with my 8" front rotor as I wrote before. Went to the LBS today - they said my Lefty is too weak for an 8" disc which I find hard to believe...
    But will try the spacers and sanding method before I try to put on the 6"...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile

I just sandpapered the rotor and cleaned and sandpapered the brake pads as well. Now it works perfect - no vibrations at all and the brake works great.
    Thanks for all the help!