mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Rotor size recommendation / advice

Hey everyone I am pretty new on here but have loved your reviews for a while.

Anyways, I just got an Avid Elixir 3 on the rear w/ a 160mm rotor and have an Elixir 5 w/ a 185mm rotor in the mail for the front.

I am currently riding a 2006 Giant Ranier and im about 230 lbs. I have been considering upgrading the size of the rotors considering down some serious hills I get some brake fade due to heat.

Would you recommend running a 203mm rotor on both the front and the rear with an elixir 5 on the front and an elixir 3 on the rear? I have been reading about this and everyone says the front should be stronger than the rear. (I totally would go to a better brake overall but I am a broke college student.)

Any and all advice / comments are appreciated.

wyrd bi ful rd
    You could just try out a 203mm on the front and use your current 185mm in the rear. At least that way you just need to splash out on 1 new rotor first and see if that will work for you ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks, I'll take that into consideration. I really can't get away with using the rotor bolts over agian right? I am assuming they will strip?

Anyone else have any input?

mtbr member
    Sure you could reuse the rotor bolts as long as you don't mess them up. A lot of rotors come with bolts though.
    If you are getting some fade then you can probably justify jumping up in size. I agree that buying one 203 rotor for the front and using your 185 in the rear is logical and most affordable.
    Your rearis probably plenty strong enough to lock up the wheel on a downhill, and will stay cooler with the 185. But you might want to adjust your riding style a bit too. It is common for people to drag the rear brake going down and really get it hot. It's better to use more front brake, and do more on/off braking instead of dragging.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Good advice Steve.