mtbr member
    May 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Heckler frame - Rotor rubbing on caliper body???

Just bought a Heckler frame and stuck a set of Hayes HFX Comps 6" on it - (first time with Hydraulics.)

Attached rear brake, set pads away from rotor fine but the wheel hardly turns......seems that the rotor is scraping the top of the caliper body between the pads - almost like the caliper is sitting too far down ontop of the rotor. This is not an adjustment that can be made without washers, but is this a common adjustment to have to make? If I stuck a couple of real thin washers between the caliper and the mounting adaptor it would raise the caliper up and hopefully stop the rubbing - is this normal/safe?

Thanks for any pointers.

PS: The pic shows where the rotor contacts the caliper:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Muzza1975; 06-29-2004 at 08:12 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    it should be perfectly safe..bare in mind i use avid mechs and have no experience with hydro's or hayes..but i have an older mongoose full-suspenstion bike and i had to set my caliper up as if i was using 7" rotors instead of the 6" that i am actually using. it's working perfect and i have no probelms what so ever.

i hope that helps.

"El Whatever"

Check this first...

Check that the rotor is well centered over the hub. The inner diameter of the rotor might be a bit greater than the hub interface outside diameter and then if rotor is not properly centered, it might rub the caliper on one side and be too low in the caliper on the opposite.

This happens. At least on Avid rotors it's like 1 mm larger than Shimano hubs for example. This caused me some warpings.

You can use very thin shims in there but be aware that this would move your pads up and out the rotor. Check your pad has full contact with the rotor braking surface if you do that.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    May 2004
    yeah, Im running a Shimano hub and had the shop fit the rotor to the hub so I will check if its alinged properly. My LBS said shimming it up is okay if just a little, too much and it could cause movement when braking. I'll let you know...

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzza1975
    Just bought a Heckler frame and stuck a set of Hayes HFX Comps 6" on it - (first time with Hydraulics.)

Attached rear brake, set pads away from rotor fine but the wheel hardly turns......seems that the rotor is scraping the top of the caliper body between the pads - almost like the caliper is sitting too far down ontop of the rotor. This is not an adjustment that can be made without washers, but is this a common adjustment to have to make? If I stuck a couple of real thin washers between the caliper and the mounting adaptor it would raise the caliper up and hopefully stop the rubbing - is this normal/safe?

Thanks for any pointers.

PS: The pic shows where the rotor contacts the caliper:
    Looks like SC has a bad bach of hecklers. I was a bit miffed that my new heckler and new avid discs weren't cooperating. I dremmeled my caliper since it is a mech (nothing major, just a little bit out of the center) and then added another spacer under the caliper. For the hydro I would avoid the dremmel and go with one or two additional spacers on the caliper body to elevate it.

29 some of the time...
    Confirmed that it is a frame issue this afternoon. I put the Hope facing tool on the frame to find that the disc tabs are off by .125-.200" by rough measure. Obviously enough to cause caliper interference. Also too far off to face with the tool

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by dsb1829
    Confirmed that it is a frame issue this afternoon. I put the Hope facing tool on the frame to find that the disc tabs are off by .125-.200" by rough measure. Obviously enough to cause caliper interference. Also too far off to face with the tool
    I've seen 2 Blur frames in the last few weeks with severely mis-aligned tabs too. Off enough to be obvious to the naked eye, and far too much to be fixed by facing the tab. Blows my mind that these things aren't getting inspected more thoroughly before being shipped.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by dsb1829
    SC replaced my swing arm. If you have a simillar issue, you should probably get in touch with their warranty directly.