Thread: Rotor Rubbing

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Rotor Rubbing

I was riding the trails today and my front brake rotor sounded like it was rubbing but not all the time, just when it spins around, it will rub certain spots. Is my rotor bent or warped? I barely ride this bike much to begin with.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    It could be slightly bent/warped. You can get an adjustable wrench, set it to the thickness of the rotor and straiten it out if you see any bent areas. It does not take a lot of pressure to make these small adjustments.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

... and if we just ... the best rotor tools around

Hello Rad, It doesn't take much to knock them out of whack and a bent rotor is the last thing you want on a great ride.
    the best tools I've found for truing up a warped or bent rotor is this set of levers by morningstartools. http://www.morningstartools.com/drumstix.html
    Using three allows you to really align the rotor, one tool doesn't always cut the need.
    This company also makes a dial incicated tool that directs you to the exact spot to true, saving alot of time and frustration. I'd check 'em out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Yo Carraig

Which crescent wrench do you suggest one use- the oily one or the greasy one ?
    A crescent doesn't have the reach needed to really true up the leg base of the braking surface.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

warped rotor or

rotors warp and or bend. I have a park tool for that. Also, some wheel flex will cause the random rub. The factory wheels on my bike do that when I corner hard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Fir
    Which crescent wrench do you suggest one use- the oily one or the greasy one ?
    A crescent doesn't have the reach needed to really true up the leg base of the braking surface.

Something like this. The tool does not need to reach way in, the "spokes" if you will of the rotor will bend back when doing this as well. This is what I have done multiple times with no issues. Brakes usually get hit on the pad surface area anyway.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson
    rotors warp and or bend. I have a park tool for that. Also, some wheel flex will cause the random rub. The factory wheels on my bike do that when I corner hard.
    Wheel flex tends to be between the hub and rim, and therefore can't affect the brakes. For the wheels to have an effect they would have to bend between the axle and hub.

Much more likely is frame/fork flex causing rubbing, as the axle moves from perpendicular to the caliper.

But in this case, a little wrench-tweaking will fix the problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson
    mabe I should check my hubs?
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Also is a possibility, more so if the bearing are not cartridge type.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Without expensive tools, truing a rotor is more of an art than a science. A slight bump with your fist may correct a broad high spot that hits the outer pad. Rotors bend fairly easily, so you may be able to true it with your hands - holding it with your fingers while pressing the high spot with your thumbs.

Don't forget to wipe it down with alcohol after putting that greasy wrench or your fingers on it.

addicted to chunk
    A couple mins with a crescent wrench will usually fix any issues, if you're patient & take your time.
    Be sure to use a clean wrench lol.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    By the way, I have herd alcohol stops squealing from disk brakes?
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    It could if the brakes are dirty. Some squeal, some dont, just part of it as it seems.

-Brett