Just Ride!

Rotor rub and flex

Okay, this is driving me crazy at hte moment. Here is the setup. Salsa Fargo with stock fork using Avid BB7. Everytime I corner hard or mash my pedals out of the saddle I always get this rotor rub. Everything is adjusted just fine. There is just flex somewhere(fork maybe). Bearing cones in the hub is perfect. I also wonder if my Salsa(titanium) skewer is not up to the job. Suggestions?

T.W.O.
    Are you running rigid fork? 160mm rotor?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ti skewers are more elastic than steel. increase qr clamping pressure. increase pad gap

Never trust a fart
    I'd re-install the original steel skewers that you replaced and then see if the rub is still there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had the same issue a while back, it was annoying. With the bike turned upside down grab the front wheel and twist side to side. My fork had enough flex that the 185 rotor would touch the pads. If my brake pads were adjusted farther from the rotor the brakes didn't stop well. Good luck

Just Ride!
    Mimi, Yep, it is a 29er rigid fork and running 160 rotors.

reptilezs/frdfandc, I will try to see if I still have some steel skewers and go from there.

GETITDONE, I tried what you did and it's the same thing and it also twist enough for it to touch the pads.

Thanks Guys

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigtire
    Mimi, Yep, it is a 29er rigid fork and running 160 rotors.

reptilezs/frdfandc, I will try to see if I still have some steel skewers and go from there.

GETITDONE, I tried what you did and it's the same thing and it also twist enough for it to touch the pads.

Thanks Guys
    i would find a shimano or closed cam type. the cheapo skewers have a nylon or delrin bushing that is also flexy. some open cam skewers have a brass bushing
    Last edited by reptilezs; 01-22-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs
    i would find a shimano or closed camp type. the cheapo skewers have a nylon or delrin bushing that is also flexy. some open cam skewers have a brass bushing
    Sadly the Salsa skewers I have are not exactly cheapo ones but it does have the plastic bushings(not sure if they are delrins). Going through my bin right now for some full metal skewers.

mtbr member
    I would never run a titanium skewer with disc brakes. They have half the clamping force for the same lever action.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    No QR skewer is going to fix this problem. Hubs, Axles, fork tips and fork legs all flex enough to cause rubbing.

The only setup I've had that didnt have any noticeably rubbing when mashing/turning/hitting rocks was with a 20mm thru axle, though I would guess a 15mm would work fine too. I doubt a RWS style "through bolt" will be stiff enough to eliminate any rubbing, but I don't have any experience with it so I can't say for sure.

I have a 10mm QR rear hub, standard 135mm dropouts, and I can flex the rear end of my steel frame enough to cause my pads to rub on my rear brake.

Members who have read this thread: 1