Thread: Rotor Rub?

mtbr member

Rotor Rub?

I'm not sure what is going on here. Every time i make a hard turn it sounds like my rotor is rubbing the brake pad. I notice it even more when my fork is compressed. Any idea of what this can be and how it can be fixed?

mtbr member
    It sounds like fork flex which is hard to fix. Is it an older fork? It might have some wobble from worn bushings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    It sounds like fork flex which is hard to fix. Is it an older fork? It might have some wobble from worn bushings.

The bike is fairly new. 2009 Gary Fisher Piranha. It has the RS Tora coil if that helps.

mtbr member
    Are you a heavy guy or really aggressive? It might just be that you need a beefier fork, or a 20 mm through axle type set up for extra stiffness.
    Do you make sure your front wheel quick release is really tight?

The other question is, does it matter? Is it just an occasional quick rub sound? It probably doesn't effect you at all, but I can understand how it could bug you.

What kind of brake is it?

mtbr member
    I would consider myself a fairly aggressive xc rider. I'm 5' 11'' 185lbs so on the heavier side. My brakes are Shimano M486 hydraulic disc brakes.

As far as the sounds goes. Its more annoying then anything. I have checked the quick release and they are tight, there is no play once it is locked. I have checked the rotor and its solid.

I'm eventually going to get a new fork but the funds aren't there yet. It would be a hard time convincing my wife that my new bike needs a new fork.

Thanks for your fast feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You might want to check that there isn't any play in the front hub. Many years ago I had a similar problem with a brand new bike and it turned out to be the hub. If it is the hub it can be fixed. If it's flex (not worn bushings) you'll probably have to live with it.