mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Rotor replacement

When should I replace them? Any time frame? How do I know theyre garbage and need to be replaced?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    There's no real "time frame" for rotor replacement. General rule of thumb is, when you start to feel a difference in thickness between the braking track and the rest of the rotor, they should be replaced. If you want to get more definite, most manufacturers do have a "minimum thickness" spec for their rotors. You'll have to dig into the tech documents for your brakes or contact the manufacturer for their specific specs and recommendations. Of course if you are using aftermarket rotors then you'll have to contact the rotor manufacturer.

Like I said, no specific time frame, it depends more on wear than time.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    Like I said, no specific time frame, it depends more on wear than time.
    It would be nice if manufacturers would indicate the min. thickness on the rotor. A few brands do, but none that I have on my bikes.

FWIW my new-in-bag Magura rotor is .07" thick. I've seen some min. thicknesses spec'ed at .065". Which doesn't seem like much difference, but as Squash mentioned it is a difference you can easily feel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    you should replace them when a more bling version is released lol

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    you should replace them when a more bling version is released lol
    THIS !

Seriously, I've got a 6 year old Dirty Dog front rotor that's going strong. I ride a lot!
    ...You'll find me chugging a gallon of Pliny sooner than going hipstertard ~ Menso

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Mine are pretty old, I wasn't sure if the idea was the same as car brakes. Every few time you do the pads do the rotors too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You only have to replace rotors on a car when they're thinner than minimum thickness. Same as on a bike. There isn't any correlation between number of pad changes and rotor changes on either vehicle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Usually the more you change the pads the more the rotors get worn though so it would be true in theory.

mtbr member
    Any one know if the Magura rotors on Chainlove will work for the Formula The One brakes? The Magura rotors are 2mm thick but cant find a spec on the Formulas?