How much further ???

Rotor Replacement

I apologize if this has been asked before but the search on mtbr is rough.

Anyway Ill make it quick. I have Formula RX 180mm front and rear on my Slayer and Im finding the tolerances on the pads are very tight. Any slight untrue rotor caused horrible squealing and Ive gone through 3 rotors in 2 months. What is the best rotor for replacement? I dont care about brand or weight I just want something that will last. Part of me thinks how different can they be, but thats why Im asking you all.

Thanks.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Your squealing problem might not have anything to do with untrue rotors, or with the rotors at all.

How much further ???
    It does. I can hear and see the untrue rotor rubbing the pads when its in the stand, resulting in a squealing sound or a loud tuning fork sound when I ride it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    How did you end up with 3 untrue rotors in 2 months?

And still, squealing is a vibration problem and it happens with true rotors as well. So you don't know if it was untrueness that caused the squealing, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My front Hayes Comp's do that to on my 8" disc. The rotor is just a smidge bent and no matter how good of jub you do when you bleed your brakes the squeal will always be there.
    Douger-1, I replaced my rotors right when I bought the bike about 3 years ago with bottom of the line Hayes rotors. Yesterday I took a really gnarly line and bent my back one horribly and am left to buy a new one. I give these rotors 5/5 they take a beating and are great quality.
    Heres the video.
    Bent Rotor (HD) - YouTube

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    How did you end up with 3 untrue rotors in 2 months?

And still, squealing is a vibration problem and it happens with true rotors as well. So you don't know if it was untrueness that caused the squealing, right?
    I live in AZ and the trails are rocky as all heck. Ive probably gone through 5 rotors total in the last year between two bikes. I've also been sliding my RM in the back of my jeep since I dont have the 20mm adaptor for my roof rack yet, so maybe this has caused issues.

I know the untrueness causes it, because I can take a wrench and "true" the rotor as best I can, re-center the calpier and it goes away. But a ride later its back. I torque the bolts on the rotor in the cross pattern and tighten evenly and slowly.