xlx
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Rotor mounting screws

Hey all! This is my 1st post here although I've lurking for years. I'm a mtb newb as I've been ridin my road bike all these years. I'm finally starting to get into mtb-ing and slowly trying to figure out how to wrench these bikes.

Anyho I'll get to the point.

I bought a new wheel set, Xyclone Discs, and about the mid way thru the shopping process I realized that I might need to get a couple of rotors as well. I thought disc wheels come with rotors On the photos they showed wheels with rotors Anyhow I needed to wait for the wheels to show up to figure out whether I need to order the mounting screws as well. Well I guess I do or do I?

I'm ordering Avid Clean Sweep G2 160mm rotors. Do rotors come with screws? If not, what's special about these mounting screws? I found some hayes mounting screws and they were something like $12 for 6. Why are they so expensive? Are they made out of ti or something? Can I just go to a hardware store and get some alloy screws that's not too heavy or will they be strong enough?

Thanks much in advance!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    congrats on your first post, xlx!

the rotors usually come with the brakes and most brands include the bolts with the rotors (Avid sure does)

I recommend you stick to torx bolts for the rotors...less likely to strip than hex ones

xlx
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    congrats on your first post, xlx!

the rotors usually come with the brakes and most brands include the bolts with the rotors (Avid sure does)

I recommend you stick to torx bolts for the rotors...less likely to strip than hex ones
    Thanks.

Xyclone is the second set of wheels therefore I need to get a pair of rotors for them.

I found Avid rotor screws and I guess I'll get them... $5 for 6. Are they pretty much standard size screws for disc brake rotors?

Quote Originally Posted by xlx
    Thanks.

Xyclone is the second set of wheels therefore I need to get a pair of rotors for them.

I found Avid rotor screws and I guess I'll get them... $5 for 6. Are they pretty much standard size screws for disc brake rotors?
    the clean sweeps you are ordering already include the bolts...so no need to get the bolts separately unless you want to have spares... the bolts are T25s....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes, they are a standard size. All new Avid rotors come with the screws vacuum sealed in the packaged. All new Avid brake systems come with rotors and bolts. I doubt you need to buy any.

xlx
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    the clean sweeps you are ordering already include the bolts...so no need to get the bolts separately unless you want to have spares... the bolts are T25s....
    Thank You. That's precisely what I wanted to know

Quote Originally Posted by xlx
    Thank You. That's precisely what I wanted to know
    no prob!

wyrd bi ful rd
    Torque them up to no more than 4-5 NM for most rotor screws ... unless otherwise specified ... not many rotors come with instructions of torque specification.
    Last edited by chinaman; 01-12-2008 at 11:27 AM.