mtbr member
    May 2007

Rotor issues/damage

I've done some looking around but I can't seem to find anything relating to this so here goes

Hopped on the bike this morning to head out, started to roll and hear a horrible scraping coming from the rotor/front wheel area, hop off, take a look, there seems to be a small, maybe 2mm x .5mm (long in the path of motion as the pad runs across the rotor) section of rotor chipped and bent out (attached section along the long side) so that its sticking out and scraping across the pad. Get out the leatherman and attempt to do something, end up pushing it back in, which makes it happy for a while. Soon enough however, and throughout the trip it sounds like the chip is being partially pulled back out and is scraping across the pad and then gets pushed back into place.

On return home I can see the chip in the rotor but I can't seem to get anything underneath it to bend it out and possibly file it off. Looking at the pad on that side there is a 1 x1 mm wide and deep groove cut out of the pad where the chip ran across it.

Two questions,

what can I (or should I) do about the rotor? try more to remove the chipped section and remove and protruding metal from the rotor and risk scraping up the rotor more?

at what point do I need to replace the pads? There is probably 2mm of pad thickness overall, with .5-1mm left under the scraped section

I'm running shimano deore hydraulic disc's with 160mm rotors

Thanks

mtbr member

eASY...

Pete,
    So there is/was a tiny chip of metal apparently from the rotor digging into the pads a bit. That happened to me. I removed, wheel, and rotor, used a steel file to remove and smooth off where the metal chip appeared attached to my rotor. You can just reuse the pads till they wear out, then replace. On occasion I take some sand paper to my spinning rotors to ensure they are pretty even in wear. Sometimes a bt of grit or mud or angel farts may briefly get up there and the rotors always show some striations of uneven wear. You can barely even feel it with fingernail but easy to see with the eyeball.

CAVEAT...
    ROTATING ROTORS AND FINGERS ARE DANGEROUR BEDFELLOWS.

Remove, file smooth, remount rotor, go ride.

CS
    C.SPRINGS

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Time fro new pads as well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks, as far as getting new pads at some point, does anyone know much about shimano pads? looking online, most places that sell aftermarket pads show the shimano hydraulic pads to be a different shape than mine are, the pads listed for shimano mechanical discs seem to be more the shape that are in mine