Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member

Rotor hitting calipers

ok folks need some help and advice this is weird.

Recently I swap out avid juicy carbon for a old hope mono mini ( first gen IS)

The front brake, rotor is hitting the bottom part of the calipers, new good ridge pads, bleeded and align centre, but it still hits the bottom part of the calipers, unlike the juicy carbon I can add spacer to increase the height but this hope IS can't increase height, what can I do just need 1-2mm clearance from the rotors.

Using a DNM USD inverted fork with IS mounting, RT-66 rotors on a hope fatsno with a 150x15mm hope conversion kit.

Thanks in advance.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Post some photos

mtbr member
    Let me know which part to zoom in

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    A side on photo of the brake attached to the fork and a photo showing the where the rotor is rubbing should be enough.

What size rotor?

mtbr member
    following on this one.
    Looked up some google images on those brakes. You've got a fun problem on your hands. All I can think of is a disc rotor with a slightly smaller outside diameter or grinding off a couple MM from the outside lip of the rotors. Horrible idea, but it's all I got.

have you asked Hope if there is an adjustment that can be made? I'll assume the bolt holes don't have any sort of eccentric bushing or spacer. There is no method to adjust the caliper height off the mount tags (single machined piece)?

mtbr member
    its a pain and only a certain part is hitting the lips/calipers. so remove the rotors, put it on a vice clamp with some cloth and file a few mm off the top where it hits.

it did not hit all round and only the lower lips are hitting the top is clear. so the file will work for a temp solution till i send the avid juicy carbon to get overhaul and service b4 is swap it back its ghetto but hell its rub free now.

- btw there no warp on the rotor i checked somewhat and its straight
    - problem could be

a) the hope rotor spacer adaptor for 135 RDS to 150mm FDS is not machined properly have have a radial/ovalised by a few mm, i remove the rotor bolts more than a dozen times to ensure even torque tru out.

b) the fork IS mounting was meant and design to work with a post mount system and thus are not engineers/perfectly for an older IS system.

its annoying i just need 2-3mm clearance. so a friend advice a file on the rotor and shave 2-3mm off the part were it hits, file it, sand paper it and now it cleared. i wish for a less evasive method tho or a friend suggested drilling a bigger hole the IS mount on the fork and push upwards and than tightened it in place.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    I was going to suggest an IS adapter that can be used on rotors with up to 5mm size difference but I have no idea of your setup.
    You haven't mentioned rotor type or size, IS caliper size or an adapter that's being used.

It's a bit hard to work out what's happening with some of the descriptions.

rotor is hitting the bottom part of the calipers
    certain part is hitting the lips
    it did not hit all round and only the lower lips are hitting the top is clear
    rotor spacer adaptor for 135 RDS to 150mm FDS
    fork IS mounting was meant and design to work with a post mount system

I think a few photos might be of some use in this thread.

mtbr member
    this brake caliper mount is an old-old style, not used any more because of the inability to adjust it, as is shown by this thread. It doesn't use the standard IS caliper mounts we're used to today. see below for google image.

Lordie,
    did you end up filing, or is that on the short list of things to try?

mtbr member
    Rotor hitting calipers-2015-07-03-02.51.31.jpg

it only hits some pars of the rotors tho.

filling the rotor down a bit at the edge that hit the lips is much better than drilling a bigger hole on the fork IS mounts.

mtbr member
    Rotor hitting calipers-2015-07-03-02.51.16.jpg

IS mount

mtbr member
    180mm front and 160mm rear.

its the front 180mm is the one hitting the lips, the rear clears perfectly.

mtbr member
    end up filing the rotors, it clears so far so good, just by spinning the wheel, going riding over the weekend and see how well it holds up until i get the avid juicy carbon back from the LBS in a week or so. but this is really a weird problem. google it and not much info or work around for this.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    this brake caliper mount is an old-old style, not used any more because of the inability to adjust it, as is shown by this thread. It doesn't use the standard IS caliper mounts we're used to today. see below for google image.
    I know what a IS calipers, brake mounts and adapters look like, some photos of Lordie's setup might be more useful then a photo from google.

IS calipers, brake mounts & adapters are made to a standard, if the rotor size matches up with everything else there shouldn't need to be any adjustments to the height of the caliper.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordie View Post
    180mm front and 160mm rear.

its the front 180mm is the one hitting the lips
    What do you call lips?

Can's see much in that first photo.

Is it the very outer edge of the rotor that has no clearance in the caliper?