Riiiiiide...

rotor compatibility...

Hope Disc Mono 6 Saw
    Hope Disc V2

Those 2 rotors on Shimano Hone/LX brakes.. is it a go??

banned
    That's interesting. It could be a possibility for the M6, as the brake track is wider than the M4/Mini type.

The V2 vented is a no-go, as it's 3mm, first thing. The other thing is it has a very wide brake track, even for the non-vented 2mm model. It's kind of a waste if you have a narrow pad area.

Hopefully SteveUK can chime in about the hub carrier on the M6 rotor. If it's the non-floater, so long as dimensions are the same as what you need, you're probably going to be good.

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    That's interesting. It could be a possibility for the M6, as the brake track is wider than the M4/Mini type.

The V2 vented is a no-go, as it's 3mm, first thing. The other thing is it has a very wide brake track, even for the non-vented 2mm model. It's kind of a waste if you have a narrow pad area.

Hopefully SteveUK can chime in about the hub carrier on the M6 rotor. If it's the non-floater, so long as dimensions are the same as what you need, you're probably going to be good.
    Currently running a magura ventidisc up front.. yeah i dont use all the surface area, but it works great. The V2 though seriously seems like too much surface area now that i take a better look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    One advantage of the non-vented V2 rotor could be better heat dissipation, because of the wide brake track. Since stainless steel has relatively poor heat conductivity, the more material you have close to the contact area the better dissipation you should get. Almost anyone that has reported on the V2 is very positive about its fading resistance, which is not always true for other Hope brakes. I suspect a very important role of the disc in this property of the V2 and wouldn't be surprised if fading resistance of an M4 or Mini would improve by using non-vented V2 rotors instead of Mini/M4 rotors. The same should then be true for Shimano or other brake systems. Now we just need someone that is able to put theory to practice as theory on its own is not worth a penny

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cascades
    One advantage of the non-vented V2 rotor could be better heat dissipation, because of the wide brake track. Since stainless steel has relatively poor heat conductivity, the more material you have close to the contact area the better dissipation you should get. Almost anyone that has reported on the V2 is very positive about its fading resistance, which is not always true for other Hope brakes. I suspect a very important role of the disc in this property of the V2 and wouldn't be surprised if fading resistance of an M4 or Mini would improve by using non-vented V2 rotors instead of Mini/M4 rotors. The same should then be true for Shimano or other brake systems. Now we just need someone that is able to put theory to practice as theory on its own is not worth a penny
    Really. That's an interesting angle, indeed.

As a whole, what are your thoughts on Hopes? I was planning on a set, but can't figure out which ones to get.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Really. That's an interesting angle, indeed.

As a whole, what are your thoughts on Hopes? I was planning on a set, but can't figure out which ones to get.
    I have my Hopes Mono M4s (183mm front and rear) only for a couple of weeks now, so not too much yet to go on. I've not run long descents (that will happen next summer in the Alps) so I cannot say anything about fading resistance. That said, I'm very impressed with the feel and modulation. I come from Magura Louise FR (180/160) and in comparison I like the feel much better (the Louises were a bit mushy, even well bled), modulation is on par I would say and for power I have to give the edge to Hope (though not by an earth shattering margin). But the M4 is certainly not a brake for people that want to do over-the-bars with minimal hand effort, to do hard braking you do have to pull (I get enough power though with one finger braking). I plan on upping the front rotor to 203 when I go to the Alps next summer. Also Hope pads are not known for their absolute brake-power, so there are options to tune. I have no experience with the other Hope brakes.

banned
    Oh, ok. The M4 was something I was looking at, and didn't know if I should get a set. Which sets did yours come with? The metal or organic pads?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Oh, ok. The M4 was something I was looking at, and didn't know if I should get a set. Which sets did yours come with? The metal or organic pads?
    They come with organic pads. Don't get me wrong, I really like the brake; I have more need for controlled braking than stick in the front wheel kind of braking and the M4s fit that bill very nicely (so did the Louises by the way). If you're after pure raw power, I guess a V2 up front would do well. I don't see any need for anything more powerful than an M4 in the rear however.

But I guess we are kind of hijacking this thread. Maybe we can persuade the PsyCro to a complete Hope overhaul

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by cascades
    They come with organic pads. Don't get me wrong, I really like the brake; I have more need for controlled braking than stick in the front wheel kind of braking and the M4s fit that bill very nicely (so did the Louises by the way). If you're after pure raw power, I guess a V2 up front would do well. I don't see any need for anything more powerful than an M4 in the rear however.

But I guess we are kind of hijacking this thread. Maybe we can persuade the PsyCro to a complete Hope overhaul
    Dolladollasign!! Im quite happy with my Hones.. with 203 rotors and good pads they work great and dont fade.. i wont be relpacin 'em 'till i brake 'em; or until i win the lottery!

And i like how you refer to me as 'the' Psycro ... i think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyCro
    And i like how you refer to me as 'the' Psycro ... i think.
    Actually I have to confess I didn't even notice I wrote 'the', but sounds wicked cool in hindsight... Just like The Big Lebowski alias 'The Dude'

mtbr member
    does anyone know if i can use avid juicy ultimates 203/185 with a V2 non vented 203mm rotor and a mono6 185 rotor?