mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Rotor compatability

Are rotors from one brand brake compatable with another calipers from another manufacturer. Provided they are the same size rotor (6 inch or 8 inch).

I ride on Hayes and am looking for new tires and was hoping I could just switch wheelsets with some friends but one is on Hope and one on Avid mech. all with 6 inch rotors.

Any help is great.

chrisgo

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgo
    Are rotors from one brand brake compatable with another calipers from another manufacturer. Provided they are the same size rotor (6 inch or 8 inch).

I ride on Hayes and am looking for new tires and was hoping I could just switch wheelsets with some friends but one is on Hope and one on Avid mech. all with 6 inch rotors.

Any help is great.

chrisgo
    Generally yes. The rotor width may be differnt requiring spreading the Avid pads, etc.

Also note that the first 2 years of Avid rotors and calipers were 6.5 inch diameter before reducing in size to the standard 6 inch.

- ray

Crumb-tumbler
    Also, Avid rotors aren't 8", they are about 7.5" so you need an avid mount with an avid rotor, or a hayes mount with a hayes rotor, but the caliper doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    Everyone is so angry, and they're even angrier if people don't think like they do. Damnit, don't you think like me? NO? DIE!!! It's like road rage. Just because people aren't discussing exactly what you want, as you like it to be discussed, they must be all wrong. That's just all wrong. Your disgust at my disgust at your disgust is disgusting.

hands up who wants to die
    Are you sure about that? Avids come in 203 millimeter = 7.992126 inch

-r