Thread: Rotor Bolts

mtbr member

Rotor Bolts

I am trying to take off my front rotor, but the LAST bolt got stripped in the process, and now I cant get it off Anyone have a solution? (I do not have a dremel at the moment, and already tried with pliers with no luck)

mtbr member
    drill + bolt extractor is best thing I can think of

Seems there's several threads fairly recently on this. Jamming a slightly larger torx/allen in there perhaps since no Dremel to file a slot with. Drill/extractor sounds good.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Ha I got it. Forced a proper wrench in it. Thanks, yeah it seems everyone is stripping bolts.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Two words: torque wrench.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

ballbuster

three more words

Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    Two words: torque wrench.
    Blue Loc Tite

If you use blue loctite, you don't have to torque them down a whole lot. Blue Loctite is also an anti-sieze compound. Just a little dab will do ya.

Also, use a good clean torx wrench. If there is the slightest hint of boogering on the end of the torx tool, toss it. A worn or bent/overtorqued tool will damage the bolts. The tools are cheap enough and common enough these days. I kinda like using those drill driver tip type torx bits along with a small ratchet handle. Also, if a bolt has a damaged star head, don't install it. It will only make trouble when you want to remove it.

mtbr member
    No, ha, I guess just the wrench was just kinda cheap so it didnt sit well in the bolt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Blue Loc Tite

If you use blue loctite, you don't have to torque them down a whole lot. Blue Loctite is also an anti-sieze compound. Just a little dab will do ya.

Also, use a good clean torx wrench. If there is the slightest hint of boogering on the end of the torx tool, toss it. A worn or bent/overtorqued tool will damage the bolts. The tools are cheap enough and common enough these days. I kinda like using those drill driver tip type torx bits along with a small ratchet handle. Also, if a bolt has a damaged star head, don't install it. It will only make trouble when you want to remove it.
    Super important, that made all the difference. I got won over by the rachet torx combo tonight. Thanks