mtbr member

Rookie Brake/Rotor Question

So my bike comes with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes with centerlock rotors. I'm looking to upgrade my wheelset and the standard is the 6 bolt setup. So I'm looking to have to replace my rotors as well. I've heard alot of talk about using the same brand rotors and brakes together. Is his the case with the Shimano hydraulic disc brakes? Should I only use a Shimano rotor? Problem is Shimano 6-bolt rotors are harder to find as the whole centerlock technology is their baby, and they're usually a bit more expensive since you have to special order them. I'm just curious if I could use any standard 6-bolt rotor of the correct size with these brakes. I'm not looking to upgrade my entire brake setup as I've been happy with them so far and am spending the money on other parts first. Thanks for the help.

-B

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    any rotor would do, as long as it doesnt have less braking surface.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brake jack
    any rotor would do, as long as it doesnt have less braking surface.
    What about a serrated or wavy style rotor? That would be less braking surface, but I've heard good things about them and the weight savings are there.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    The wavy rotor or the cutouts in the rotor is just for looks and cooling. As long as the overall breaking surface is as wide as your pad, your ok. Some Avid rotors have a smaller breaking surface.