mtbr member

Rock Shox disc rotor with different calipers?

I have a NOS White front hub made for Rock Shox disc that I'm not sure what to do with. My bike only has disc mounts on the fork anyway, so I fishing for ideas and thinking about putting disc on the front and leaving my V-brake on the back. If I buy a Rock Shox 165mm rotor, could I use it with a different manufacturers caliper?

Also, if I do this, should I buy an extra rotor or two while I have the chance while they're available and cheap?
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bhutata
    I have a NOS White front hub made for Rock Shox disc that I'm not sure what to do with. My bike only has disc mounts on the fork anyway, so I fishing for ideas and thinking about putting disc on the front and leaving my V-brake on the back. If I buy a Rock Shox 165mm rotor, could I use it with a different manufacturers caliper?

Also, if I do this, should I buy an extra rotor or two while I have the chance while they're available and cheap?
    The White hub with the 3-bolt rotor mount hole has the same rotor mount diameter as any 6-bolt rotor. So you can mount any 6-bolt rotor on your 3-bolt hub - I did it at one time. But - and here's the kicker - the offset for the rotor on your White hub does not match any current caliper spacing. In other words, the rotor sits futher away from the locknut / end cap of the hub than all current brakes do. If you really want to do it, you'll need to space your caliper in a few millimeters to get it to sit over the rotor on your White hub.