Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    To legit to quit
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    700

    rock shox disc brakes

    i have resently aquired a few set of these brakes and i am unsure what i want to do with them. anyone happen to have experiance with these?

  2. #2
    To legit to quit
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    700

    pics

    here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fat Elvis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    943

    They were selling those close-out at pricepoint

    a few years ago, and i think they were going for ~$25 per set. Honestly, I doubt that they're worth a whole lot unless there's someone out there who absolutely needs them for a specific frame or fork, or something like that. I'm sure that you can do much better with a set of avid mechanicals or shimano deores. Maybe they'd make nice Xmas tree ornaments?

  4. #4
    To legit to quit
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    700

    wow

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    a few years ago, and i think they were going for ~$25 per set. Honestly, I doubt that they're worth a whole lot unless there's someone out there who absolutely needs them for a specific frame or fork, or something like that. I'm sure that you can do much better with a set of avid mechanicals or shimano deores. Maybe they'd make nice Xmas tree ornaments?
    well i got 3 sets with many extra rotor with the cardboard thingy still in them plus i have the white industries hub and some formula hubs for them. i should be able to get something for all that, but once again i have something that no one would ever want and i'll probably be stuck with them. for $25 they would make great x-mas tree ornaments, i'll put them up on my tree with my ringle BOXXER hub

  5. #5
    6x7=Dont Panic!
    Reputation: TheRedMantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,009
    It looks like you have wuite a few rotors. You might make back what you payed if you ebay all of them. I think it would be something cool to have.
    Herro prease

  6. #6
    To legit to quit
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    700

    i traded for them

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    It looks like you have wuite a few rotors. You might make back what you payed if you ebay all of them. I think it would be something cool to have.
    traded a $300 bmx front end for them. i was reading an old mtb magazine that had an article about them and the sounded neat so i picked them up. i don't want to run them though, i'd rather have something else. here are the hubs, the silver white industries has the rockshox disc logo and the black formulas have the proper mounting for these brakes as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    135
    there might be a chance that Sram / Rockshox wants a set for their "History" showcase.
    They are collectors items for sure. but i definitely wouldnt put them on my bike ...lol

    brakemeister

    might hang on to the rotors, there must be someone who really needs one ... lol

  8. #8
    To legit to quit
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    700

    seem to be kinda rare anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by Brakemeister
    there might be a chance that Sram / Rockshox wants a set for their "History" showcase.
    They are collectors items for sure. but i definitely wouldnt put them on my bike ...lol

    brakemeister

    might hang on to the rotors, there must be someone who really needs one ... lol
    yeah they definatly seem to be rare these days. i havent seen any others and the stuff that i have is brand new. it's just a matter of finding the old school guy that needs them.

  9. #9
    6x7=Dont Panic!
    Reputation: TheRedMantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    yeah they definatly seem to be rare these days. i havent seen any others and the stuff that i have is brand new. it's just a matter of finding the old school guy that needs them.
    Post it on Vintage, Retro, Classic . Those guys will give you good advice. Some might even want a set or some rotors.
    Herro prease

  10. #10
    To legit to quit
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    700

    done

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    Post it on Vintage, Retro, Classic . Those guys will give you good advice. Some might even want a set or some rotors.
    i posted it there, we'll see what i get. now if i could only find a way to extend a steerer tube, lol.

  11. #11
    Unshaven Yak
    Reputation: Stinky Wiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    503
    I used to run one of those up front. I actually got it to work really well (better than most non-avid mechs). The guys at the shop used to give me props for having them work so well. The key was to disobey the instructions & set them up with a middle leverage position on the lever (one spacer removed from a shimano xt lever). I dumped my old white industries hub when I replaced it as it isn't any good for any other disc, but they should work well for XC. Hope you got a lot of pads to go with. I still have a spare set, along with my orig rotor & caliper, just in case. They're still tons better than V's (comfy nose-wheelies).

    One plus is that the caliper is actually a floating design, so no rub, ever. A minus, is that when you put the bike on the floor without the wheel on it, it touches the ground & depresses the cable, thereby activating the pistons (beware, they are hydraulic inside). Very reliable through the years I used it.

  12. #12
    To legit to quit
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    700

    pads

    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Wiz
    I used to run one of those up front. I actually got it to work really well (better than most non-avid mechs). The guys at the shop used to give me props for having them work so well. The key was to disobey the instructions & set them up with a middle leverage position on the lever (one spacer removed from a shimano xt lever). I dumped my old white industries hub when I replaced it as it isn't any good for any other disc, but they should work well for XC. Hope you got a lot of pads to go with. I still have a spare set, along with my orig rotor & caliper, just in case. They're still tons better than V's (comfy nose-wheelies).

    One plus is that the caliper is actually a floating design, so no rub, ever. A minus, is that when you put the bike on the floor without the wheel on it, it touches the ground & depresses the cable, thereby activating the pistons (beware, they are hydraulic inside). Very reliable through the years I used it.
    the one thing i don't have extras of.

Similar Threads

  1. Need advice on using disc brakes
    By moose in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 11:18 AM
  2. Ahoy! V-brake holdouts!
    By Padre in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 09:06 AM
  3. Rock Shox disc rotor with different calipers?
    By bhutata in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 03:18 AM
  4. regular brakes and disc brakes
    By joshua_msu in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 08:07 PM
  5. Tune Disc Hubs & Formula Disc Brakes??
    By Wirth in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 04:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •