MountainTourCross

Road levers on flat bars?

Hey folks-
    I'm trying to keep canti's on my bike, so that means no normal MTB levers. The alternative that I've found is either inline levers (cyclocross-style), or keeping my road levers.

I dont really like the inline levers; they seem like they have a pretty long reach that are better suited to curved bars.

My question is this: if I install road levers on a flat bar, will I get enough travel to fully actuate the brakes?

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by treestan
    Hey folks-
    I'm trying to keep canti's on my bike, so that means no normal MTB levers. The alternative that I've found is either inline levers (cyclocross-style), or keeping my road levers.

I dont really like the inline levers; they seem like they have a pretty long reach that are better suited to curved bars.

My question is this: if I install road levers on a flat bar, will I get enough travel to fully actuate the brakes?

Thanks!
    No. Shimano does make short pull road levers for flat bars.

You can use long pull levers (V-type) with cantis. Just means the brakes will not be as powerful.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

MountainTourCross
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    No. Shimano does make short pull road levers for flat bars.

You can use long pull levers (V-type) with cantis. Just means the brakes will not be as powerful.
    Cool, thanks for the input. I'll try it out.
    I actually tried throwing the road brakes on my flat bar to absolutely no avail. I could bend the levers (I suppose) to make it fit, but thats not something I'm looking to do. Time to hit the LBS.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Yes, Shimano makes the levers you need.

Quote Originally Posted by treestan
    Hey folks-

Thanks!

Shimano R-770.
    "Do not touch the trim"