Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Road BB5 or MTB BB5 ?

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  eric_syd 
#1 ·
Not the usual thread whether to use one or the other with road lever but something almost dumber.
I am building a monster-cross for commuting on-road off-road.
I bought a set of recent BB5 off eBay that I assumed were MTB models.
I then bought a pair of Cane-creek long pull levers to match.
When I started the build, I couldn't help but compare the calipers with an old BB5 that I had on another bike and I noticed that:
1. the shape is very different
2. the actuation lever seems also shorter as well.

Then I started to freak out, have I bought some road BB5 without knowing, have I paid through the nose these Cane Creek levers that I did not need.
I have stopped the build immediately waiting for the answer.
I have looked on Avid's web site and from the photos it is really hard to differentiate the two models apart from the sticker. Since mine has no more sticker, I have a very simple question:
Can someone tell me how to tell if I have a road or an MTB BB5 brake set ?
Thanks for your help
:confused:
Eric

See less See more
#2 ·
How recent?....

year wise. If they are 08 or 09 brakes that will make it fairly easy. For 08 and 09 the MTB calipers were/are a dark gray color. The 08 and 09 road models were/are silver. Also the road models have the Avid logo and BB5 R painted on the actuation lever. It isn't a sticker it's painted on, so it's not likely to be missing unless someone went to a lot of trouble to remove it. So if they are not marked as the road model, and/or are dark gray, you have the MTB caliper. If they are older than that the BB5 R marking still holds true, but the colors were the same for both the road and the MTB caliper. Both were silver.

Bottom line is, with the lack of marking, and the fact that while BB5 road brakes are available, they are rather rare, it's more than likely that you have the MTB calipers. Not a 100% thing, but certainly better than even chances.

Good Dirt

#3 ·
Squash said:
year wise. If they are 08 or 09 brakes that will make it fairly easy. For 08 and 09 the MTB calipers were/are a dark gray color. The 08 and 09 road models were/are silver. Also the road models have the Avid logo and BB5 R painted on the actuation lever. It isn't a sticker it's painted on, so it's not likely to be missing unless someone went to a lot of trouble to remove it. So if they are not marked as the road model, and/or are dark gray, you have the MTB caliper. If they are older than that the BB5 R marking still holds true, but the colors were the same for both the road and the MTB caliper. Both were silver.

Bottom line is, with the lack of marking, and the fact that while BB5 road brakes are available, they are rather rare, it's more than likely that you have the MTB calipers. Not a 100% thing, but certainly better than even chances.

Good Dirt
Thanks Squash. Your info is really accurate.
They are definitely dark grey but shape wise look like the recent ones.
My older version is same color but with smaller diameter adjustment knob. Are you aware of them changing the actuation lever length (3-5mm I would say) between two versions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.