mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Ripped front brake line?

New to the forum here. I need some help with a brake problem I had today. I was trying to avoid a speedbump, wasn't paying attention, and ended up slamming into a side railing. I know I ripped through the front brake line but I don't know what exactly broke as I'm not very familiar with bike parts. Its an old bike so would it be worth it to fix the cable? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    Yeah all you need to do is replace the cabling good luck!!
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You may not need to replace the cable. Those are cantilevers, you need to find the metallic part that connects the vertical cable to the horizontal cable. It's a tiny metallic part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the help! Yeah, the little metal connector was what sheared off I think, and only the end of the actual cable from the lever ripped off. As long as it won't be too expensive, I'll probably take it in to my campus bike shop and have them fix it up. I was just worried it might cost more than the bike is worth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The part is not expensive, but it may not be easy to find. The cantilever brakes are an old brake type.

mtbr member
    might be cheaper just to get Vs

Never enough time to ride
    Most shops should have the wire carrier for right around $3.00 or so, and a new cable should run between $3.00 and $5.00. Your straddle cable looks okay, so tops $10.00 unless you have the shop do it then probably right around $15.00 to $18.00 depending on labor rate.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ok so I think what I'm looking for is a yoke hanger, if I located the part, any bike shop should be able to replace it right?

Edit: Ah ok, thanks for the info!