mtbr member

Ripped the brake line out of the caliper - help!

I caught this huge stick today in the front wheel and somehow managed to rip the brake line out of the caliper. Fluid gone - hose won't go back on.

I have Hayes HFX9 hydro brakes. Do I need to replace the brake line or should I just buy a new system for the front ($120)? I've never had a problem in 3 years with these brakes so I'm sort of a newbie to this issue. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Meh.
    Did you just rip the hose out of the fitting? Or did you tear the fitting out of the caliper? If the latter, were the threads damaged?

A new line and bleed is like 30 bucks if that's all it needs.

mtbr member

Fitting Ripped in half

Did you just rip the hose out of the fitting? Or did you tear the fitting out of the caliper? If the latter, were the threads damaged?

I believe the best way to describe it is that I ripped the fitting in half. The metal half is still in the caliper and the hose comes free. It makes sense to me now that a hose could be replaced. Where do you find compatible parts? I'm guessing I'd need something specific to Hayes HFX-9.

Thanks
    Last edited by Franco94; 03-03-2007 at 07:01 PM.

mtbr member

Brake pic

Here is a pic of the situation
    Attached Images Attached Images

Meh.
    If fluid got on your pads, you'll need new pads too.

Right, you can just get a replacement hose from Hayes, or you can do something fancy like a braided hose from Jagwire, Hope, Galfer, Goodridge, etc.