Thread: rims or disc?

mtbr member
    May 2009

rims or disc?

I bought a 2008 scale 70...great to build off of but the bike is rim brake equiped, upgrading would require new wheel set that are disc compatible...is it worth it? or should i just upgrade when it becomes neccesary to replace the wheels...and if i should upgrade to disc, what would be a good brake set to start with? im sorry if this isnt a question that has to do with brakes...

Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    you should only get disc if you are going to get a nice hydro set. Otherwise, you won't notice a huge difference if the rim brakes are set up well. Wheels are expensive

mtbr member
    Ahh... would that it were that cut and dried...

It really comes down to where you ride, how you ride, personal preference, etc.

Pros of rim brakes:
    1. typically lighter than disc setups
    2. usually less expensive

Pros of discs brakes
    1. better modulation
    2. more forgiving of rims that are out of true
    3. more consistent in wet/muddy conditions

For the average trail rider, rim brakes are perfectly fine and unless you have a real need to change over, I'd wait until your next upgrade makes new rims a necessity. Most folks don't ride downhill/all mountain constantly and don't ride in the wet or mud.

Weekend Warrior
    A totally agree with CmdrChode, except on the better modulation part. I had V's and sidegraded to BB7 disk. My disks had an on or off feel and nothing in between, now after sanding my organic brake pads to a knob the work a lot better.

For wet and mud the disks are a must.

mtbr member
    True - your brake experience will also be bounded by the other half of the equation, that being the brake levers. Awesome brakes connected to crappy levers can negate any benefits offered by new brakes. I didn't have to take action as drastic as sanding the pads down, but I didn't notice a whole lot of improvement until I upgraded the levers, too.

That being said, unless you're doing a lot of downhill or riding in the muck, it's not an absolute necessity. I'd pocket the cash or save it for drivetrain upgrades, where you are much more likely to notice an immediate improvement.

Weekend Warrior
    I know;

I went from Tektro levers and V'brakes with Koolstop pads to BB7 disks and SD Ti Levers with new coated cables. I was very disappointed with my BB7's in the beginning, but I learned to love them by now.