banned

Smile rim brakes are history?

I am patiently awaiting my BB7s from pricepoint, cannot believe they are so inexpensive now.Adding another 2 pounds to my hardtail does not thrill me but the performance is hard to resist.Question is HONESTLY do you think hydras are substantially more difficult to maintain? the modulation would be great to have but the good ones are so much more expensive and BB7s have just as much power...fact acording to mbt action and many riders.The weight issue between mechs and hydras is not an issue with me as I think 1/4 pound weight savings is no big deal I sadly retire my rim brakes

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasmore1535
    rim brakes are history?
    Apparently for you they are!

I'm not sure where you're going with this post, but congratulations on the pending receipt, installation & inaugural use of your new purchase.

They're solid brakes and I'm sure you'll enjoy them.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    A few reasons (in my opinion) why rim brakes are history....

1) They constintly need ajusting, the springs go out in them, just extra matinence
    2) It seems one pad is ALWAYSE rummbing your rim, slowing you down
    3) They dont use hydrolics
    4) Weight? not a big deal but its something
    5) They dont look NEAR as cool (we all know its true)

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by TREKFuelEX8
    Neither do disc brakes.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Gotta agree. For those who ride where there is mud and water, rim brakes pick up a lot of crap and force you to stop to clean them, whereas it is pretty rare to get anything on your discs.

thomasmore1535, just checked PricePoint and say you got a great bargain. The BB7's are terrific brake. The two-sided adjustment makes them much better than any other mech disc brake out there.

But I would still go hydro.... in fact, I just did recently. Don't laugh. Picked up a pair of Tektro Auriga Comp's off ebay for $47 shipped (no discs). After riding my wife's new GT i-Drive 5 4.0, I had to get hydraulics. Even these cheapy Tektro's blow away my old BB7's for strength and control - like night and day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

1) They constintly need ajusting, the springs go out in them, just extra matinence
    1. My v-brakes on all my bikes have been very low maintenance.
    2. Properly adjusted brake pads don't rub.
    3. See post by Mike T.
    4. I thought v-brakes were lighter?

My newest bike is a Stumpjumper HT that is 23lbs with v-brakes. I don't have anything against disc brakes but for my cross country riding, I'd rather save some weight and go with v-brakes. Maybe once the weight of the two systems is close to a wash, I'll be happy to switch over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I used rim brakes for years, like many others. Then I picked up BB7s a few years ago and moved to Hydraulics last year. I'll never use rim brakes again but there is still a place for them. Some frames don't have disc tabs (usually old ones) and some weight weenies still like rim brakes since they are very light. However, I am quite sure than only a small minority of mountain bikers still use rim brakes and that number will keep dwindling as BB7s become available for less than $100 per set and as manufacturers spec low-end mech discs on their builds. They can get these brakes for $30-$40 a set.

willtsmith_nwi

What you've never had rotors rub the pads.

Magura sells rim brakes that do.

That all depends on your application. If you were a pro racer, you would be at a disadvantage with heavier mechanicals. Honestly, the smartest bet for XC is to use disc up front where it matters and leave the rear as rim for stronger, lighter wheels.

Theres no debating that.
    Last edited by willtsmith_nwi; 01-02-2008 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    1. I've used and currently use a combination of mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes, and my xc bike's rim brakes are, by far, the most maintenance free.

2. I've honestly never had this problem, but maybe it's because I've always used good wheels with well adjusted brakes. Disc brakes, on the other hand, seem to rub quite a bit.

3. I see this as a good thing. Yeah, hydraulic (not hydrolic) is nice for feel, but it's a pain to work on and repair.

4. Rim brakes are substantially lighter than disc brakes.

5. Meh, I go both ways on this one - discs look cool, but v's look clean.

I don't ride where it's very muddy, mostly we deal with dust, and my v brakes have enough power and modulation for the job, are virtually maintenance free, and a lot lighter than disc brakes.

mtbr member
    I still use rim brakes- well one anyway. But running the hydro rim brake. Magura HS-33. But this is only on the rear of my trials rig.

As for rim brakes, I think their a thing of the past. Even a lot of trials guys are moving to disk, still many stick to HS-33's. I love magura, but wouldn't want it on any of my other bikes. lol.

I love Avid BB7's. Perhaps the most amazing brake Ive ever ridden. Disk brakes are the only way to go. There are too many pro's to disk, and way to many con's for rim brakes.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    1. I've used and currently use a combination of mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes, and my xc bike's rim brakes are, by far, the most maintenance free.
    3.hydraulic.................but it's a pain to work on and repair.
    Just for the record, so that Newbs get both sides of the story, many of us have no issues with our disc brakes, either hydraulic or cable. We don't do lots of maintenance and don't find hydraulics a "pain to work on". Over the years of debating brakes and dealing with peoples' brake issues I have found that their mechanical skills (or lack of) are their biggest problem. Maybe your user name is well chosen.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Just for the record, so that Newbs get both sides of the story, many of us have no issues with our disc brakes, either hydraulic or cable. We don't do lots of maintenance and don't find hydraulics a "pain to work on". Over the years of debating brakes and dealing with peoples' brake issues I have found that their mechanical skills (or lack of) are their biggest problem. Maybe your user name is well chosen.
    Thanks man, I appreciate that.

Hydraulics will always be more difficult to deal with than cables by their very nature. Also, how many times have your hydraulics lines been cut or nicked on a ride? I've had it happen twice to me now, and it's a mess, impossible to repair on the trail, and not guaranteed you'll find replacement parts at the local shop. This is one of the big reasons I switched to mechanical discs a while back, and have only recently started using hydros again.

Regarding maintenance, I've touched the v's on my xc bike zero times this season, and it's the bike which get's, by far, the most use. Conversely, the two bikes with discs have been adjusted a couple times to get rid of rub.

The whole point of my post was there are still good reasons to use v's over discs in some applications.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Thanks man, I appreciate that.
    You're very welcome. I try to give both (all?) sides of the brake issue(s) and I did it quite well in the FAQ (in my opinion).

Hydraulics will always be more difficult to deal with than cables by their very nature.
    Not to me. Not at all. But then I'm a licensed auto tech and have been around hydraulic bike brakes on this site for a decade. I mechanic for racers who have cable and hydraulic and I've owned both.

Also, how many times have your hydraulics lines been cut or nicked on a ride?
    Never.

I've had it happen twice to me now, and it's a mess, impossible to repair on the trail,
    Finish the ride with the other brake. How many people carry spare cables? I've heard cables let go like gunshots in the bush. They finished with one brake too.

not guaranteed you'll find replacement parts at the local shop.
    I have an extensive repair kit for two types (the ones that I own) of hydraulic brakes.Check post #7 here -
    Magura Cult - RIP

Regarding maintenance, I've touched the v's on my xc bike zero times this season, and it's the bike which get's, by far, the most use. Conversely, the two bikes with discs have been adjusted a couple times to get rid of rub.
    Current brakes - Formula B4SL Magnesiums - 4/5 years on the bike, no rub, no leaks, zeeeero maintenance.
    Zeeee*&^%$*ro.
    Nil.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kster
    1. My v-brakes on all my bikes have been very low maintenance.
    2. Properly adjusted brake pads don't rub.
    3. See post by Mike T.
    4. I thought v-brakes were lighter?

My newest bike is a Stumpjumper HT that is 23lbs with v-brakes. I don't have anything against disc brakes but for my cross country riding, I'd rather save some weight and go with v-brakes. Maybe once the weight of the two systems is close to a wash, I'll be happy to switch over.
    that is why I waited so long to switch over. weight... about an extra two pounds,since I use my relatively lightweight hardtail as a trail bike and do not race xc I find long downhills to be more strenuous with v brakes....maybe that is why my forearms are so impressive mech disc on my Heckler covinced me to convert all my bikes to mech disc

banned
    I would like to try hydra disc however the only ones that interest are not affordable for me, seems mech disk can be just as powerful with the right cable (aztec powerlines) but the modulation is lacking...ans mbt action agrees with that assessment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Modulation and feel plus how much power it takes to brake. The nice thing about hydraulics is the "isolated" feel of the vibration being transferred through the cable to the lever. The vibrations are probably absorbed by the fluid. Another thing is that on really steep and long downhills, the hyros will will pump up your forearms and fatigue your hands much less.

So they are nice to have but cables are very reliable and overall, discs work better than V-brakes. When I rode Kenosha to Georgia this year, we had snow and flowing snowmelt above 10,500 feet. On the way back, the trails were slick and sketchy with snow/slush all over the wheels and I think V-brakes would have been hard to keep dry.

While I have no problems with V-brakes in some applications, I don't think I would use them here simply because the downhills can be very long and very steep and afternoon rain is common at higher altitudes. The Mech Avid BB7s are so cheap now. If you want inexpensive hydros, keep an eye on Ebay and the Classifieds here.

Recently, there were new 2008 Juicy 7s (complete) going for $199 a set and that's the cheapest I have seen. I have seen the Avid BB7s for around $100.

mtbr member
    something so essential to the performance of a mtn bike, and having the option to run hydraulics, then that is what i would do. brakes is the one area to reasonably spend more money. i also suggest then choosing a well credited brand/model. i do agree if going disc mechanical is sufficient for you- do it. otherwise, many ebay stores plus some website stores have great deals on even '08 hydraulics. (to add: i still have V's on a few of my bikes). skipping one night out dining should do it.