Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Rim brakes are better than disk, we've been sold LIES!

I dont care how much you "break in" hydrolic disk brakes, they cause friction, make you work harder to go slower, and require more maintenence than a bike should ever need.Six years ago i bought an aluminum frame $600 bike with a Deore shift set, sun rims, and a marzocci fork, and Shimano RIM BRAKES. In SIX FREAKIN YEARS I HAD NO SERVICE REQUIRED for the brakes. I adjusted the tension of the wire from time to time but please... And u know what, the bike stopped just as well if not better than my new bike with Juicy 3 Hy. disk brakes. My new brakes cause friction, this is like the one thing I would want to avoid in a MTN bike besides a cracked frame. I just bought a $1300 bike, and it takes me 15-25% longer to get where I'm going because of the new "upgrade" on the brakes.

I read all these post talking about "bleeding the fluid evry couple months" and "cleaning the rotor with alcohol" and all this crap, and its not hard, its easy-- but time consuming and stupid as hell.

I love the bike I just bought for $1200, I would like it more with Rim brakes for $1000, It would GO FASTER and be more convienent. Great frame, great fork, great shift, great rims, RIM BRAKES..This is what I'm looking for in a couple years in a MTN bike.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    hmmm i disagree
    ive had my cheap quad sp-1 hydraulics a few years and had no problems with them, havnt needed bleeding or any maintenance at all, and theyre at the low end of the market

obviously bleeding them and cleaning the rotors is gonna make the brake funtion at its maximum potential, but its not neccessary in most cases, you just do it because you can and it might make a slight difference

and is an hour a year or every 6 months that bad? dont know about you but i like fiddling and messing with things, it helps me learn how
    things work and for me its part of the enjoyable part of bikes

(by the way its friction between the rotor and pads that stops the bike.....so more is better
    i dont know what sort of "friction" your talking about lol

what disc brakes has your new bike got?

sorry didnt see juicy 3's
    ive tried them and they seemed good to me, stopped me a hell of a lot quicker than any rim brake ive ever tried
    low maintenance too, seriosuly i dont think you need to bleed them all the time and clean the rotors etc, as long as the systems completely sealed, your ready to roll.... and then stop.... quickly

Thread Killer
    it's a matter of convenience, to me.
    i'm not sure about weight comparisons, but i do know that rim brakes are somewhat simpler to maintain, and perform relatively well in most conditions...disk brakes shine in the wet and muddy conditions, but require more maintenance, and are substantially more expensive.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by STACK
    Rim brakes are better than disk, we've been sold LIES!
    No they aren't. You're wrong.
    Bike good, work bad.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    I dont care how much you "break in" hydrolic disk brakes, they cause friction, make you work harder to go slower, and require more maintenence than a bike should ever need.Six years ago i bought an aluminum frame $600 bike with a Deore shift set, sun rims, and a marzocci fork, and Shimano RIM BRAKES. In SIX FREAKIN YEARS I HAD NO SERVICE REQUIRED for the brakes. I adjusted the tension of the wire from time to time but please...
    I have a bike with rim brakes that hasn't needed any service for at least 6 yrs also, because it's been sitting in my basement. The amount of time means nothing, it's the frequency of use.

Braaaapp!
    You can argue that rim brakes need maintance as well. Cleaning the rims, pads, adjusting pad toe-in, lubing the cables, lubing the pivot points, etc. You are neglecting these and still say the brakes are fine. I'm sure you could ignore disk brake maintance and not notice either then.

I have a VERY hard time believing that your discs are causing enough drag to make you 15-25% slower. If they are rubbing that badly then something is out of adjustment (just like a rim brake can be). Or different tires could have more rolling resistance. Or a heavier wheelset. Or (per your other posts), the geometry just isn't right for you since you went from a 21" to an 18" frame.

Don't blame the brakes yet. Discs are proven to be good performers

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    im sorry you have such trouble maintaining something so easy to keep up with. the rest of us dont.

dont worry though, in a couple years when you're ready for a new bike, im sure you'll understand disc operation by then

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    you also need to take into consideration the life of the wheel with rim brakes as they erode the braking surface and eventually need replacement much sooner than a disk wheel would

Doctor
    Dec 2008

Agreed!

Disks add weight, complexity and cost.

There are only 2 situations that favor disks: extreme downhill riding and riding in mud. None of us should be riding in mud, since this damages the trails, so disks are just for DH riders, and aren't actually required for that.

I'm so happy that my Epic has rim brakes (XTRs), and dread the day I may have to replace it as the new models are disk-only.

..it's just an opinion, folks.

jeff
    Last edited by noodletips; 04-06-2009 at 04:44 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    No they aren't. You're wrong.
    I routinely use inferior items on my bike, thusly I'm using disc brakes.

Former Bike Wrench
    None of us should be riding in mud, since this damages the trails
    Typical Californicator response ...guess what, there are places where not riding in the mud means no riding for 8 months of the year. And in those places, its disc brakes and replace the pads or rim brakes and replace the pads and rims each year. Yes, when I was going to school at UNLV and riding the Mustang Trails...disc brakes would have been overkill. But when I returned to the PNW...its not the same situation.

bi-winning
    it takes me 15-25% longer to get where I'm going because of the new "upgrade" on the brakes.
    You're doing something wrong.

Your brakes should be running drag free, and only causing friction when you command them to do so by pulling the lever.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    hes also running j3's.. you cant use the bottom of the barrel hydraulic as a sweeping generalization for hydraulic brakes.

banned
    Can't wait for Nino to find this thread!

Pedaler of dirt
    In SIX FREAKIN YEARS I HAD NO SERVICE REQUIRED for the brakes. I adjusted the tension of the wire from time to time but please...
    Did you actually ride the bike in six years??

You never had to replace pads or worn out rims?

Disks are so much easier to look after than rims brakes? I ride in mud, dust and sand all year and the only thing I have to replace is pads ever few months. No tools required.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Fer F@cks sake people

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I dont care how much you "break in" hydrolic disk brakes, they cause friction, make you work harder to go slower, and require more maintenence than a bike should ever need.Six years ago i bought an aluminum frame $600 bike with a Deore shift set, sun rims, and a marzocci fork, and Shimano RIM BRAKES. In SIX FREAKIN YEARS I HAD NO SERVICE REQUIRED for the brakes. I adjusted the tension of the wire from time to time but please... And u know what, the bike stopped just as well if not better than my new bike with Juicy 3 Hy. disk brakes. My new brakes cause friction, this is like the one thing I would want to avoid in a MTN bike besides a cracked frame. I just bought a $1300 bike, and it takes me 15-25% longer to get where I'm going because of the new "upgrade" on the brakes.

I read all these post talking about "bleeding the fluid evry couple months" and "cleaning the rotor with alcohol" and all this crap, and its not hard, its easy-- but time consuming and stupid as hell.

I love the bike I just bought for $1200, I would like it more with Rim brakes for $1000, It would GO FASTER and be more convienent. Great frame, great fork, great shift, great rims, RIM BRAKES..This is what I'm looking for in a couple years in a MTN bike.
    Three things:

1- I refuse to believe you have not had to replace or re-adjust the pads in 6 years unless you never ride. I also refuse to believe that your brakes did not feel like crap if you never replaced the cables in six years.

2- You are comparing v-s to lower end hydros that are OBVIOUSLY mis-aligned.

3- The advantage of disc is not the sheer stopping power. In dry conditions on shorter stops, v's are just as powerful as most 6" discs if set up well(which few people ever did). It is the consistency in all conditions, greater control, and lack of fade that make them better.

I think v-brakes are fine, and I ran them on my ss up until two years ago, but a set of bb7's have them beat in every way.

I had a set of Hayes Hydros a few years back and they were a nightmare, and I regretted going disc. Then I got some bb7's and I've been a happy camper ever since.

If you do mostly xc riding , in a dry climate with no long downhills that require a lot of braking, the benefits of disc are not going to be as useful, but they should be stopping you every bit as well as your v's, and not dragging. You need to get yours set up right if you want to have an intelligent opinion about this.

Custom User Title
    You ever try to get back to the truck with a bent wheel? With disc brakes you at least still have brakes to use.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Fer F@cks sake people

Exactly. Im surprised people are actually giving serious replies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It defintely sounds like something is out of adjustment. On another note, even though the Juicy 3s are low level Hydraulics, properly adjusted they should still stop you worlds better than a cable activated rim brake.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike
    Exactly. Im surprised people are actually giving serious replies.
    I feel so silly, now.

thread killer
    [SIZE="7"]BB7"s [/SIZE]
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

mtbr member
    Damn. I gotta go out and get me some rim brakes on my car and motorcycle.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Doctor
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    You ever try to get back to the truck with a bent wheel? With disc brakes you at least still have brakes to use.
    ..you make a valid point. touché

jeff

Doctor
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Typical Californicator response
    ..guilty as charged. And I see your point.

jeff

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast