mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Rim brake rubbing in one spot on back wheel

My rim brakes on my old Raleigh M-400 are rubbing on only a certain part of the rim. I tried adjusting the pads and cable, but making it where the pads don't rub means having to pull the lever waaaayyy too long.

Any suggestions? I can post video if y'all think it will help.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc

True your wheel

Sounds like you need to true your wheel and take the wobble out. Need a straight rim to get rim brakes set up right. Get a spoke wrench and rule of thumb is to tighten the spoke on the side opposite the wobble. Good luck. Local bike shop can help too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpride
    Sounds like you need to true your wheel and take the wobble out. Need a straight rim to get rim brakes set up right. Get a spoke wrench and rule of thumb is to tighten the spoke on the side opposite the wobble. Good luck. Local bike shop can help too.
    Thanks. I have a spoke wrench on my multitool. I'll try that when I get home today and report back.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterc4
    Thanks. I have a spoke wrench on my multitool. I'll try that when I get home today and report back.
    That should end well Everbody's gotta start somewhere though.

Recommend you at least browse this http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#tensioning

Instead of a truing stand like described on that webpage, just flip your bike over and use the brake pads, or hold your thumb by the rim, to find where it's out of true. If you scroll on down that page you'll find descriptions of doing that too

FWIW, you can make do with that multitool, but it'll be a lot easier with a real spoke wrench.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    What kind of rim brakes are they? I asume v-brakes. There are some screws on either side of the v-brakes themselves the controll spring tension, you can loosen one side and tighten another to get the brakes to align better as well. But if it is becuase of a wobbly wheels that the brakes touch you are going to need to get it trued first.

FWIW- playing around with loosening and tightening up spokes without knowing what you are doing can cuase a lot more problems if you do not knwo what you are doing. Tightening the spokes on the opposite side of the wobble is not always the answer, sometimes you need to loosen the spokes on the side of the wobble. and you usually do spokes in pairs right?