Thread: Rim Brake Pads

Big Damn Hero

Rim Brake Pads

Hey all, I recently brought back my old 1996 GF Tassajarra from the dead and built it into a nice fully rigid 1x7 setup. The bike rocks and Iíve really enjoyed the simplicity of the setup. The one thing about the bike I donít like currently is the brake set up. It's got a cantilever brake set up that just doesnít have the stopping power that Iím used to with the modern day disc brakes. I realize that Iím going to give up some performance, but itís everything I can do now just to get the rear to lock up. I recently changed pads to some sort of trail orientated set up, but Iím sure there are better pad/lever options out there that I can leverage to improve performance.

Is there a specific type or brand of brake pad that youíd recommend that will help improve stopping performance? Is there some sort of cleaning process I should do to the rim that could help? The rims are as old as the bike, so they do show some scoring and general wear and tear.

I have looked into the possibility of just upgrading to disc brakes, but Iím not looking to drop that kind of coin at the moment.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    canti's aren't that weak compared to V's (I can lock up the front on V's) so locking up the rear shouldn't be a problem at all... as for cleaning the rims - back when I had V's I used to wet the down the rims, drag the brakes, then rinse away...

actually to think of it, the only brakes I've ever really hated were caliper brakes w/ dept store pads clamping of chrome rims... no stopping power whatsoever

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For my v-brakes, I clean rims with a basic wipe down using a wet paper towel and then with isopropyl alcohol. Same with pads. Doing this has made a big difference in performance for me.

I don't know anything about cantilever performance or pad compatibility, but if KoolStop makes any pads which fit your brakes then I highly recommend them.

human dehumidifier
    KoolStop salmon colored pads FTW

I'd consider buying some budget Avid or Shimano Vs and a pair of SD-7 levers, to avoid the learning process of setting those cantis up to work well. But that's just me. Get them set up right and they should work just as well as a V does.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times