I ride with tools

riddle me this: Avid Elixirs sound like a goose

A Canadian goose to be precise, under extreme duress.

I've had my Elixir CRs for a year and they have been awesome from the start. Until about 5 rides ago, that is, when the rear started howling and honking so bad it sets up a vibration all through the bike, and makes the cables buzz too. I looked close and could see that the pads were contacting about 1 mm of the rotor spokes, so I shimmed them up higher and the noise went away - for about one ride. Now they're honking again. The rotors are true. The pads are wearing evenly. The rotor bolts are tight. The brake gods are still angry.

Any ideas?

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    Are you running your brakes in wetter conditions? My avids are quiet until they get wet, then they have the annoying howl.

It might be a possibility that the caliper needs to be re-centered on the rotors or even the pads might need to be cleaned.

Don

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by djr8505
    Are you running your brakes in wetter conditions? My avids are quiet until they get wet, then they have the annoying howl.

Don

No, this is happening in dry conditions. But thanks

mtbr member
    Any chance you contaminated the pads or rotors? Lube, DOT fluid, gunk from the road, etc? I just got the Elixir CR recently as well but only hearing the howling after going through streams...but the noise disappears shortly.

I ride with tools

Problem solved

I am going to man up here and say I was wrong - the rear rotor bolts were loose by about 1/8 turn each. A major lesson for me: I have been running hydros since they came out and I have NEVER seen a rotor bolt back out. I came to assume that the badass loctite the manufacturers use was infallible. But I think that this particular set of rotor bolts had been in and out about 3 times, enough to wear out the loctite.

I learned from this and am looking forward to some QUIET braking on tomorrow's ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Good to hear you found the problem!

A goose is better than a turkey, but still completely Undesirable.

I ride with tools

Epic FAIL

tightened all the rotor bolts.

Test ride in the parking lot: brakes are still howling.

Switch front pads to rear and vice-versa, thinking this will buy a few minutes of quiet. NO FvCKing way, still howling! WTF ! !

I'm ready to throw this sh!t in the dumpster.

Anybody? Bueller?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

mtbr member
    If you had trouble-free riding for a year, I'm voting that you need to replace your pads. If you had issues from the start, then I'd say you're a candidate for the warble thread.

Change up the pads, regardless of how they look.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri
    Change up the pads, regardless of how they look.
    Good advice, fo sho. I put in some organic pad and also bled the rear. More than a few bubbles came out, but I can't attribute the noise to that.

Tried my best to bed them in and see if the noise would return, but difficult here at home as there is not much steepness. Out of ~10 at-speed-to-stop, one time I heard a little noise. We'll see. I leave for Gooseberry day after next. My backup plan is the Juicy 7 I pulled off my singlespeed.

Crainius Maximus
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    We'll see. I leave for Gooseberry day after next.
    How ironic considering the description of your problem...

unrooted
    I wonder if having air in the system would allow the pads to vibrate as though they were on a spring, which air works well at.