Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    826

    Retrofitting "banjo" 765 dual control to fit inline 775 calipers

    I have Shimano XT Dual Control 765 shifter/brake combo and want to use a new set of 775 XT calipers. The 765 XT calipers use a "banjo" fitting on the caliper end. They will not fit the 775 calipers which use an "in-line" fitting.

    My question is can I use the same hose or do I need another newer style? I have read over and over that Shimano stuff is all backwards compatible. Is the fitting that attaches to the 775 the same as the fitting that fits into the 765 lever?

    Shimano in their schematics that they give you with the shifters and calipers leave all this out.

  2. #2
    Unicorn Disabilities Act
    Reputation: MoustacheCashStash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    49
    You only need to replace the fitting at the end of the hose, but the easiest way to get the fitting is to buy a new hose kit like this. Shimano has changed their connector threads 1-2x, so no guarantees this is would fit (I'd say %70 chance). ALl the info is out there if you want to research to make sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courage the comic insult dog
    Still I would hump you, if I could wear my flea collar
    Free Beer

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,267
    Buy the new fitting, cut the banjo off, put new fitting on, screw hose onto lever.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by MoustacheCashStash
    You only need to replace the fitting at the end of the hose, but the easiest way to get the fitting is to buy a new hose kit like this. Shimano has changed their connector threads 1-2x, so no guarantees this is would fit (I'd say %70 chance). ALl the info is out there if you want to research to make sure.
    I imagine what Shimano did was simplify things and use the same connectors at both ends, the only difference being the extra rubber shroud on the shifter/lever end?

    Has the black compression connector always been the same? The hose diameter has not changed either?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    32

    Bh59

    Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    I imagine what Shimano did was simplify things and use the same connectors at both ends, the only difference being the extra rubber shroud on the shifter/lever end?

    Has the black compression connector always been the same? The hose diameter has not changed either?
    Yes, it's the same. The difference between BH59 hose and BH63 is only the caliper connection.
    Talking about simplifying, the new XTR (985), XT(785) and others are using again a banjo connection in the caliper...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebr
    Yes, it's the same. The difference between BH59 hose and BH63 is only the caliper connection.
    Talking about simplifying, the new XTR (985), XT(785) and others are using again a banjo connection in the caliper...
    Thanks. That was a concern I had. Started messing around with all this last night and only got more and more pissed as I went.

  7. #7
    Singletrack Addict!!!
    Reputation: Relayden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    842
    What he said, as long as the hose is long enough, thou you should not cut more than 3/4 of an inch, give or take.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

  8. #8
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,482

    Second that...

    Quote Originally Posted by MoustacheCashStash
    You only need to replace the fitting at the end of the hose, but the easiest way to get the fitting is to buy a new hose kit like this. Shimano has changed their connector threads 1-2x, so no guarantees this is would fit (I'd say %70 chance). ALl the info is out there if you want to research to make sure.
    ... but keep in mind you can't cut the older Shimano stainless steel kind of brake lines.... the ones with the exposed metal covering.

    Other than that, yeah... its pretty easy. Just lop the old fitting off, new fitting on.

    I think Nashbar has front brake hoses for $5 and that includes a new banjo fitting, banjo bolts and o-rings. Heck, the banjo fitting by itself runs quite a bit more than that.

    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_194803_-1___

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,824
    Don't think the bh61 kit would help since it has banjos on both ends.


    Look at these bh59's on ebay. Although they all state 59, some are banjo-straight and some are straight-straight. No wonder you're confused. You obviously need the straight-straight that MoustacheCashStash showed. The second item in the list shows bh59 and 775, so the 59's should work.
    http://desc.shop.ebay.com/Brakes-/27...&_sop=15&_sc=1

    I recently changed shifters and finally figured mine out. I ended up getting 2 hose kits because it only costs a few more dollars than the connectors and I can reuse my other hoses down the road.

  10. #10
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,482

    Yeah, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder
    Don't think the bh61 kit would help since it has banjos on both ends.


    Look at these bh59's on ebay. Although they all state 59, some are banjo-straight and some are straight-straight. No wonder you're confused. You obviously need the straight-straight that MoustacheCashStash showed. The second item shows bh59 and 775.
    http://desc.shop.ebay.com/Brakes-/27...&_sop=15&_sc=1

    I recently changed shifters and finally figured mine out. I ended up getting 2 hose kits because it only costs a few more dollars than the connectors and I can reuse my other hoses down the road.
    One banjo is permanent to the throw away hose, one is uninstalled, and can be use on the hose you actually care about for 1/4 the price of buying the banjo, barb, banjo bolt and o-rings separately.

    *edit*

    Oh, wups! My bad. He needed the straight connector, not the banjo. He already has a banjo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •