mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Retro Fit an old Klein

Alright folks, I'm new around here. Background is I have an 02 Klein Adept Pro which I just took out of the garage basically after about 6 years of sitting in there (long story). Getting back into riding and now disc brakes are all the rage. We do get quite a bit of rain and mud up here in the PNW and I am singletrack xc riding. I'm thinking about retrofitting some discs on my old horse. From what I've gathered so far I'll need the Trek Disc-o adapter for the rear, new hubs to mount the discs to, and new shift levers if I go hydro.

I don't know much about mechanical vs hydro, but from what I gather, hydro has supreme stopping power AND better feel/modulation. I do like my brakes so if hydro is really better, I'd spend the extra cash to get that setup. Any recommendations from people who have converted? Or any recommendations from people who have had hydro and mechanical setups? Is it even worth the $$$ to upgrade?

Former Bike Wrench
    You'll just want to replace the entire wheelset, just the hubs would be a PITA and I'm not sure your going to find 24 or 28 hole disc hubs aftermarket. As far as brakes, I've owned both BB7's and hydros and overall I prefer hydros. However, if you wanted to keep those nice XTR brake levers...the BB7's have plenty of power. Use a high end sealed housing like Gore and you'll have a very nice setup.

≈ > ♥
    Discs aren't nessesary for just xc singletrack.

Sure they're nice, but your bike won't explode if you continue to run vee's. Ride your bike a while the way she is and get your legs back. If you still want to go for discs, try the Avid BB7 mechanicals, or Hope hydros.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by farfromovin
    Alright folks, I'm new around here. Background is I have an 02 Klein Adept Pro which I just took out of the garage basically after about 6 years of sitting in there (long story). Getting back into riding and now disc brakes are all the rage. We do get quite a bit of rain and mud up here in the PNW and I am singletrack xc riding. I'm thinking about retrofitting some discs on my old horse. From what I've gathered so far I'll need the Trek Disc-o adapter for the rear, new hubs to mount the discs to, and new shift levers if I go hydro.

I don't know much about mechanical vs hydro, but from what I gather, hydro has supreme stopping power AND better feel/modulation. I do like my brakes so if hydro is really better, I'd spend the extra cash to get that setup. Any recommendations from people who have converted? Or any recommendations from people who have had hydro and mechanical setups? Is it even worth the $$$ to upgrade?
    If you were happy with rim brakes then, you will be happy with them now.

In the long run, it can be cheaper to buy a new bike than retrofit.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, one side of me says DISCS, but the reasonable side says it's a big $$ upgrade and not necessary. Even in the mud/muck, I can just get some green pads for my V's. I don't want a new bike, I love this frame setup. Thanks for the help guys. I'll just run 'er hard, get new pads when needed, and IF I need more stopping power later on, then I'll think about it.

Former Bike Wrench
    So your rims are ceramic coated then (Green Pads)...I was going to say when you wear out your rims, it would be a good time but the ceramic rim sidewalls last a long time.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    So your rims are ceramic coated then (Green Pads)...I was going to say when you wear out your rims, it would be a good time but the ceramic rim sidewalls last a long time.
    And work pretty well in the wet.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common