Checkin' it out
    Sep 2009

Retracting pistons ...

What's the best way to retract the pistons after changing the pads? I used the screwdriver method wedging the old pads back and forth, but it didn't work. I tried the FAQ, couldn't find an answer. Besides using the screwdriver, what's a better method? Thanks for all the help!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996Marin View Post
    What's the best way to retract the pistons after changing the pads? I used the screwdriver method wedging the old pads back and forth, but it didn't work. I tried the FAQ, couldn't find an answer. Besides using the screwdriver, what's a better method? Thanks for all the help!
    A screwdriver inevitably pushes the pistons back unevenly.if they get tipped off axis they jam, as you have found out. Usually you can get the screwdriver thing to work if you can get at the caliper from both sides.

If you remove the old pads you have to be more careful in case you damage the pistons. The damage comes if you get the pistons off axis and carry on forcing them back.

Inserting an allen key of appropriate size all the way through
    With the flats facing the piston and then rotating it gives a controlled way of nudging back the pistons a short distance at a time.if any significant force is required then something is wrong.

Brakes using dot fluid often end up with more fluid volume because of water absorption. In this case, the pistons won't push back and stay back without venting some fluid from the master cylinder.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Best method I've found is to use a small box end wrench to push the pistons back into place. The rounded edges of the wrench won't damage the piston face and tend to apply force evenly. Remove the old pads, push the pistons back in completely, install the new pads. Re-install the wheel and pull the lever a few times to reset the pistons.

As petercarm noted, if you can't get the pistons to stay fully seated, or they pop back out a bit, you may have to vent a bit of fluid. Usually though, if the fluid has absorbed enough moisture to produce this problem, it's a good call to go ahead and bleed them. It won't be long before you'll have to anyway.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have a 6" length of S/S plate, ~ 1mm thick - ground a taper @ 1 end. Insert between pads & lever - done!
    Lots of pistons are phenolic resin, crumble like cheese if you lever on them direct (As I found out with my Juicy 7's...)

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996Marin View Post
    What brakes are they?
    Addicted to the Classifieds

Plays with tools
    pedros tire levers are perfect for pushing pistons back in. If you are having trouble pushing them back in might try cracking the bleed port and let the excess fluid out.

b a n n e d
    Yup, I use a tire lever to span the piston and push if I can't fit my fingers in there (Hope's have a WIDE channel).

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    never had any trouble with the screwdriver method, so long as you're careful and do it slow