mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Reset Lever Reach Adjustment Screw When Bleeding Brakes?

I am in the process of bleeding a set of Magura Marta SLs (wish me luck).

Is there any advantage to resetting the brake lever reach adjust screws to all of the way out (so the levers are closest to the bars) in the beginning of a brake bleed? What I mean is, does it make it so you have more screw to work with as the brake pressure drops over time, or do you just leave the reach adjustment alone and bleed away? I know that when I replace shifter cables, I reset the barrel adjusters so that I have more to work with in terms of increasing cable tension as the cables stretch over time.

Hawk

banned
    Nope, unless the adjustment actually adjusts the volume or position of the MC circuit itself, there's not need for it.

Such things as Hope's BPC, Avid's Speed Dial, and Formula's adjustment should be backed out. The adjustment for the lever you have is simply an external adjustment that adjusts the position of the lever and nothing outside.

That adjuster is there for the lever position, and it should remain more or less constant over the pad life, though towards the end it will go further towards the bars as the self-adjusting nature of the caliper is no longer able to keep up with the needs of worn pads.

Brake pressure does not drop over time. Pad position changes, and the system simply "shifts" fluid to accomodate that wear and the lever is more or less constant in its operation.