Dat mah bike, punk!

A report about Hope Technology

Just yesterday i had called Hope Tech, hopeing to find a solution to my problem. The problem was this:

I had purchased a set of mono m4's three months ago, #6 in the front, and #8 in the rear for a great price. I hadn't installed them, and was looking to upgrade the fork and wanted to use the brakes only on that fork. Well wouldn't you know, every bike project has "issues", and my co-worker/bike addiction therapist egged me on to get a Fox40. he is not a good therapist. Whoops! now, the #6 caliper won't mount on the fox 40 for a 200-205mm rotor! oh no!

i spoke with Krispy at go-ride and he mentioned that i'd have to buy a new #3 caliper, have it re-bled/installed, and then run maybe a 220 rotor. he was close, but, no way i'm running a 220. might as well have the caliper pinch the rim itself...

I slept poorly for one night, called Hope in the morning. Gwen was nice and affable, and she knew her product. She advised me to send in the entire front brake, the #6, and she said they would swap out that trick little #6 for a brand new mono m4 #3 caliper. I couldn't believe my ears.

Hope really went out of their way to make this work. i'm glad i bought Hopes. Just thought i'd mention it. great product, and great service/support.

M
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

mtbr member
    I've never had anything but good to say about thier tech service, and thier products. This just helps the case even more

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973
    I've never had anything but good to say about thier tech service, and thier products. This just helps the case even more
    really? that's good...what brakes/hubs are you running?

what other issues have you had with Hope? i should have talked to them about getting a 5 bolt 200mm disc rotor for my big un hub...

Uhhhhh...
    I though you had to run a 160mm rotor Mono M4 caliper (which they didn't make as of a month ago) to have a DH40 as the new mounting standard on the fork.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    So... the Fox DH40 plan is to run a #3 front MonoM4 caliper w/ a 220mm Rotor?

Last I talked to Fox (earlier this week), running a 220mm rotor is not covered under warranty.

On HopeTech's website, there is supposed to have a MonoM4 160mm Caliper (http://www.hopetech.com/products/hyd_08.htm) - but I don't see that for sale anywhere.
    Last edited by cheezwhip; 01-28-2005 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Mistake on Fit Chart Statement.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    I though you had to run a 160mm rotor Mono M4 caliper (which they didn't make as of a month ago) to have a DH40 as the new mounting standard on the fork.

-TS
    What he said...

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip
    So... the Fox DH40 plan is to run a #3 front MonoM4 caliper w/ a 220mm Rotor?

Last I talked to Fox (earlier this week), running a 220mm rotor is not covered under warranty.

On HopeTech's website, there is supposed to have a MonoM4 160mm Caliper (http://www.hopetech.com/products/hyd_08.htm) - but I don't see that for sale anywhere.

OK here's the deal. i just sent them my mono m4 #6 caliper, which is sized to fit directly onto a Rock Shox boxxer. that caliper comes with a 8" rotor.

Gwen told me that she will replace my brand new #6 caliper with a brand new mono m4 #3 caliper(it's designed for 160mm rotors), but now with the new FoxDH40 standard, the #3/160mm caliper will mount directly onto the fork, while using an 8" rotor.

i think fox's idea of making the DH40 XC caliper compatible is this: XC calipers are standard nearly everywhere, and the new mount allows users to use 200-205mm rotors with calipers that are meant to run 160mm rotors. That way, if EVERY disc brake maker made only ONE caliper design, it would work on forks with mounts that are specific to each application-specifically dual crown forks are used for DH, so typically it would need 8" rotors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misctwo
    OK here's the deal. i just sent them my mono m4 #6 caliper, which is sized to fit directly onto a Rock Shox boxxer. that caliper comes with a 8" rotor.

Gwen told me that she will replace my brand new #6 caliper with a brand new mono m4 #3 caliper(it's designed for 160mm rotors), but now with the new FoxDH40 standard, the #3/160mm caliper will mount directly onto the fork, while using an 8" rotor.
    So I looked up the #3 Front Caliper on BTI and it's for 180mm rotors:

http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item=HT48338

Item No.:
    HT48338 In Stock? Yes
    Manufacturer: Hope - (Part No. HT48338)
    Description: Mono-M4 '05 #3 brake, IS-Front - 180mm

Put that #3 on the DH40, and you'll need a 220mm rotor.

Dat mah bike, punk!
    So I looked up the #3 Front Caliper on BTI and it's for 180mm rotors:

http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item=HT48338

Item No.:
    HT48338 In Stock? Yes
    Manufacturer: Hope - (Part No. HT48338)
    Description: Mono-M4 '05 #3 brake, IS-Front - 180mm

Put that #3 on the DH40, and you'll need a 220mm rotor.

you're right. i just spoke with hope and they're going to supply me with a 220 rotor along with the new #3 caliper. that's just crazy. but hey, i'm ready and willing.

sorry for the confusion. 220. crazy!!!!!

M

mtbr member
    you're right. i just spoke with hope and they're going to supply me with a 220 rotor along with the new #3 caliper. that's just crazy. but hey, i'm ready and willing.

sorry for the confusion. 220. crazy!!!!!

M
    That's really cool to hear about Hope stepping up on the CS front... but that still leaves me leary of running a setup that will void the warranty on my DH40.

*sigh*

The #3 Caliper for the rear is 160mm... I wonder if I can use that rear caliper instead?

Dat mah bike, punk!
    That's really cool to hear about Hope stepping up on the CS front... but that still leaves me leary of running a setup that will void the warranty on my DH40.

*sigh*

The #3 Caliper for the rear is 160mm... I wonder if I can use that rear caliper instead?

yeah i hear you. i'll bet Fox will discontinue that lower leg assembly and go back to the I.S., like they Manitou did with that Dorado. not ideal!

anyway, did you get your fox40 yet? what are you running for a brake, if not the 220 yet?

mtbr member
    yeah i hear you. i'll bet Fox will discontinue that lower leg assembly and go back to the I.S., like they Manitou did with that Dorado. not ideal!

anyway, did you get your fox40 yet? what are you running for a brake, if not the 220 yet?
    The DH40 is coming real late for me... I haven't finalized my brake choice, but I will probably go w/ Avid Juicy 7's - I just really don't want to give up my Hopes but the Fox DH40/MonoM4 combo doesn't seem like its going to work out.

*UNLESS* Fox finishes testing the 220mm rotor and proclaims it covered under warranty.

Dat mah bike, punk!

*sigh*

actually i was going to autocad the caliper mounts later today, draw up a little spec, to see what can fit. not sure if the #3 rear will work, that'd be awesome. but if it does, i would think that Hope would have figured that out by now...

Dat mah bike, punk!
    The DH40 is coming real late for me... I haven't finalized my brake choice, but I will probably go w/ Avid Juicy 7's - I just really don't want to give up my Hopes but the Fox DH40/MonoM4 combo doesn't seem like its going to work out.

*UNLESS* Fox finishes testing the 220mm rotor and proclaims it covered under warranty.

i'm going to call fox now, and see what the scoop is. grrrrrr...

Dat mah bike, punk!

yes i just spoke with fox and they said that they are currently testing, and will probably be finished in the next month or two. also, he mentioned that anyone running this system, the DH40/Hope mono setup, WILL BE COVERED if the 220mm rotor is approved even if the system has been used before testing has finished. gamb000000L!!!!

M

mtbr member
    yes i just spoke with fox and they said that they are currently testing, and will probably be finished in the next month or two. also, he mentioned that anyone running this system, the DH40/Hope mono setup, WILL BE COVERED if the 220mm rotor is approved even if the system has been used before testing has finished. gamb000000L!!!!

M
    That's good to hear... I may still be running Hopes then

Thanks misctwo!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The #3 is the exact same caliper for the rear and front brake. In fact, for a given caliper, if you run it in the front it will use a 20mm larger rotor than in the rear brake. So, what you would ideally need, to run a 200mm rotor, is a 160mm front / 140mm rear M4 caliper, which Hope does not make anymore...

Miki
    Last edited by Miki; 01-30-2005 at 11:46 AM. Reason: speeling!

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by Miki
    The #3 is the exact same caliper for the rear and front brake. In fact, for a given caliper, if you run it in the front it will use a 20mm larger rotor than in the rear brake. So, what you would ideally need, to run a 200mm rotor, is a 160mm front / 140mm rear M4 caliper, which Hope does not make anymore...

Miki
    Yup I have nothing but great things to say about hope. Their brakes are kick ass, but I dont like their brake pads much but you could swap those out for ebc's. I have them both the mini and mono mini on my two disc equipped bikes and they are great.

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miki

Miki

yeah thanks for that.....the fact that they stopped making a mono m4 160mm caliper is beyond me. that caliper would work fine! argh!

i feel as though we're back in the 80's, fighting for compatibility with computer $hit....

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrek4500
    Yup I have nothing but great things to say about hope. Their brakes are kick ass, but I dont like their brake pads much but you could swap those out for ebc's. I have them both the mini and mono mini on my two disc equipped bikes and they are great.

cool. i have heard about their brake pads, and probably should order those "ebc" pads soon. where can i get those?

M

Turner Homer
    cool. i have heard about their brake pads, and probably should order those "ebc" pads soon. where can i get those?

M
    Go to www.speedgoat.com, and get the ebc gold compound ones for 22 bucks, but stay away from the green compound because they were not that strong, and they made the brake squishy and they wore quick. They work great and you could easily do stoppies with them, and I plain to get them soon for my mono's on my turner. Btw do any of you know where I could get a new pad retention pin for my old mini's because stupid me over torqued it and cracked the hex hole. Also do you think hope might give me a new one for free if I called them?
    Last edited by dtrek4500; 01-30-2005 at 07:47 PM.