mtbr member

Replacing Rotors, Do I Need New Pads as Well?

Hey, I am putting some new rotors on my Juicy 5s. Putting Hope floating 183mm front with a 185mm bracket and 160mm rear with a 160mm bracket. Question is: Do I need to replace the pads as well when I put the new rotors in? Thanks.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    If the pads are still good, then no, they don't need replacing. Just bed them into the new rotors like you would with new pads or brakes.

mtbr member
    no it would be a good chance though to run some sandpaper over the pads.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    Hey, I am putting some new rotors on my Juicy 5s. Putting Hope floating 183mm front with a 185mm bracket and 160mm rear with a 160mm bracket. Question is: Do I need to replace the pads as well when I put the new rotors in? Thanks.
    Pull out the current pads and inspect them. If the pad material looks uneven you may want to replace them.

On one of my bikes, I had some rotors that wore unevenly; they were significantly thinner in the center than at the edges. (This was due to the shape of the holes or cutouts. Basically, there was less rotor material in the center of the track...) Due to the convex shape of the rotor, the pads had worn in a complimentary fashion so that they were convex in shape. There was still ample pad material left, but I chose to replace the pads too so as not to prematurely wear the new rotors to conform to that shape.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Kevin - I don't think it would have changed the shape of the new rotors measurably. However, you wouldn't have had full stopping power until the pads evened out.