mtbr member
    Apr 2009

replacing rotor on my avid bb5

Hi, newbie question:

I have stock avid bb5 for my 08 cobia. my question is, if i am replacing the original rotor (i think it is 160 mm) with other rotor (the one with more holes) is that going to improve the braking power?

or do you think bb5 can accept larger than 160 mm rotor?

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It sounds like you have the "round garden" style rotors now. If you replace them with G2 or G3 versions, you won't get much, if any braking power increase. What you will get is better brake cooling, less weight, and better modulation (this one is subjective).

If you want more power, you will have to switch to sintered pads (if you have them, ignore this part) and/or got to a 185 mm rotor. You will need another adapter too if you go up a size. A 185 front and 160 rear would be a good set up for most.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You will be better off upgrading to Avid BB7's than playing with rotors ... They have a larger contact area on the pad and so will give you better power and adjust ability.

I'd go with the increase in rotor size or different pad compound (like ziscwg said) for your front wheel (and an adapter, the caliper doesn't change for disc size). The difference between a Roundagon or Clean Sweep rotor isn't that big a deal (have both, can't say there's any power difference but really haven't tried to compare them, but do think I get less noise from the clean sweeps).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Former Bike Wrench
    You'll have more power upgrading to a BB7 (even staying at 160mm rotor) than staying with the BB5 with a larger rotor.

PricePoint has BB7's with a 185 rotor and adapter for $52...you'll nearly spend that much on a new 185 rotor and adapter for your BB5's

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks all for the inputs.

i will compare the cost between both. i am leaning toward upgrade though ...

thanks again

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    another question:

I think the one that you mentioned at pricepoint for $52 is this:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/150...203mm-2008.htm

it says front and rear brakes sold separately.

so i am confused. what's included ?

- rotor?
    - pad?
    - the cable?
    - the lever?
    - and the actual mechanic attach to the fork or frame (for the rear)?

thanks

Former Bike Wrench
    Front and rear brakes use different sized adapters for the same sized rotors (for instance a rear 160mm adapter is the same as a front 185mm adapter)

Avid BB7's come with:
    Caliper
    Pads
    Rotor
    Adapter

you can use your existing levers, cables, and housing on your BB5's

mtbr member
    It does say "IS mount with included adaptor" under compatibility so adaptor is included. Under product specifications, there's a section called "Includes:" and it lists "Caliper, Rotor" so those are also included. In the questions section, it does state that the pads do come with it.

Cable and levers are usually not included with mechs, this one doesn't seem to be a exception (n/a on hose length).

The mechanic to install is almost never included in online stores. You're lucky if your LBS will do that for you.

Weekend Warrior
    Let me know what you are planing to do with your BB5's. I'll take them of you hands for my sons bike before you toss them in the can.

On the other hand. If your bike is brand new, give it a couple of months to work themselves in. Braking power may increase over time. Mine did on my BB7s. What type of riding do you do? If you are hard on your brakes, like downhilling etc. You may just want to look at the G2 or G3 rotors as they are better ventilated. The Roundagons which also came with my BB7s when I bought them are cr@p. You may want to look at just upgrading rotors in that case. If you are just doing XC riding consider just buying the front a BB7 in a 185mm size and leave the rear alone. What made a much bigger difference for me was not the brake upgrade but the lever upgrade. Mine came standard with Tektro levers and it took almost twice as much pulling power to achieve the same brake power. I found brand new Avid SD Ti's on eBay, but any good SD 7 lever should do if you don't already have them.

Also when you buy the BB7s you will get the Roundagon Rotor, probably same you you got right now, Caliper, Hardware (bolts, etc), and Mounting adapter in the size matching the rotor.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    if you were to upgrade i would buy bb7s i was thinking of getting these bb7s: http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc..._Combo_Kit.htm
    but decided to get a pair of slx brakes (got at a real good price $130)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks all for the input, i will stop by at my lbs/internet to check out the price

is there an option to buy bb7 with bigger rotor, so far all of them come with 160 size

daleksic, i will keep you in mind if i ended up upgrading to bb7. my house is about 2 miles from the trail, so i ride on the road before getting to the trail, with a lot of intersections (stop signs) sometimes cars won't stop on the line, so i need to brake

Live 2 Ride
    Why does everyone suggest buying BB7 when a hydraulic setup is much more powerful and can be had for a mere 10 or 20 dollars more per axle than the BB7 setup?
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    is it harder to maintain? hydraulic i meant ..

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Why does everyone suggest buying BB7 when a hydraulic setup is much more powerful and can be had for a mere 10 or 20 dollars more per axle than the BB7 setup?
    How much power do you need? You need enough power to be able to stop the bike, but not so much power that you lock the wheel(s) leading to a skid and potential loss of control. (Besides which, you won't stop any faster once you're skidding due to the fact that the coefficient of sliding friction is less than that of static friction.) The BB7s that are on my bikes are plenty powerful for stopping me and my bike; I'm able to control the bike easily with one finger on each lever. I honestly would not want them to be any more powerful. The hydraulic brakes that I've used in the past were more than adequate in this regard as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Because BB7s are better than hydros.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Live 2 Ride
    So you say. I disagree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    Because BB7s are better than CHEAP hydros.
    FIXED
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail Rider
    FIXED
    mmm. ,,, ,,, ,,,
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Beasley
    So you say. I disagree.
    dam you again....i remember you saying in another thread that you have never even touched hydro brakes and its too messy to play around with and blah blah blah. you need to get your facts straight before you try to help other people out.

To the OP. I just recently upgraded my front rotor on my bb5's to a 185 mm rotor. the stopping power is very noticable. i recommend you do this too. its definitly worth it.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by sengkenken
    Hi, newbie question:

I have stock avid bb5 for my 08 cobia. my question is, if i am replacing the original rotor (i think it is 160 mm) with other rotor (the one with more holes) is that going to improve the braking power?

or do you think bb5 can accept larger than 160 mm rotor?

thanks
    The 2008 Cobia is a nice bike, Sengkenken. What do you feel is not working right with your stock BB5 set? Actually, you didn't say it was working poorly - you just mentioned you wanted to replace the rotor. What is wrong with the current rotor?

BB

Live 2 Ride
    dam you again....i remember you saying in another thread that you have never even touched hydro brakes
    Funny since I have a set of hydros on my bike as we speak...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    @cth978 = hi, i saw bb7 with 185 mm (clean sweep) for $60 w/ shipping. compare to if i replace the rotor i need probably $10 for adapter and $30 something for the rotor. i might do that. thanks

@brucebrown = well i think there is nothing wrong with my current setup I just don't like the roundagon shape hehe. so i am planning to replace with more motorcycle look mind as well upgrade to bigger size