mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Replacing pads and resetting pistons on Elixir 5

Hey, so I thought that replacing the pads on my Elixir 5 brakes would be an easy job, but I just can't seem to push the pistons back far enough to get enough space between the pads. I'm using a big screwdriver to wedge the old pads apart just like the pinkbike video says. Maybe I need to get into hulk mode? Also, I'm using TruckerCo pads (they say they're compatible with elixir 5) and on the back side the circular indentations don't seem to be as deep as the old pads. Could they not be compatible? Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

mtbr member
    Truckerco pads work fine. Your pistons may be sticky. It's a good idea to clean your pistons at every pad change. Pull the pads, insert a shiim between the pistons to keep them from extending too far (I use paint stirrer stick, doubled up), and pull the lever to extend the pistons. Spray them down with 100% Isopropyl alcohol, and swab them with a cotton swab or something similar. Then, lube the pistons with silicone lube (TriFlow dry or similar). Push the pistons back in, using the screwdriver, until your used pads will fit again, then push them in further, as far as you can go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    OK so I saw a similar thread here and followed the same advice, just opened the bleed port screw as I pushed in the pistons. First I turned the screw 1/4 rotation, then 1/2, then a full rotation. Now the pads fit great but i notice it takes more travel by the brake lever before the pads contact the rotor. So maybe I lost a little fluid, or maybe there was too much to begin with. Either way it turned out to be a quick fix, still great performance, but a proper bleed and clean job would be nice. When I get around to it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you made any adjustments at the lever as the pads were wearing out, you'll need to undo those or the pistons won't go back in completely. I spent a few hours, and tried several tools, before I tried turning the adjustment screw on my Elixr 7s. After that, they went back in with no problems.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double