Thread: replacing pads

mtbr member

replacing pads

Don't know much about hydro disk brakes other than i have them on my Cake 2 DLX (Hayes) but have ridden it pretty hard over the past 3 months and the levers are starting to pull all the way to the hand grips. Are the pads bad or do they need adjustment? Any good recommendation on pads for a guy who enjoys screaming his way downhill only to stop about a second after he should have??

"El Whatever"
    Check out with the hydro gurus but it sounds like you have some air in your brake lines...
    Check my Site

Out riding my Scalpel
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywings
    Don't know much about hydro disk brakes other than i have them on my Cake 2 DLX (Hayes) but have ridden it pretty hard over the past 3 months and the levers are starting to pull all the way to the hand grips. Are the pads bad or do they need adjustment? Any good recommendation on pads for a guy who enjoys screaming his way downhill only to stop about a second after he should have??
    What I did was, have my LBS re-bleed and put on new brake pads. Walla I was off and riding. Brakes work fine without the levers hitting the grips. I'm sure that's all you'll have to do. Take to your LBS. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    You should not have to bleed your brakes already if they were set up properly. Worn out pads may be the cause, but you'd likely hear some grinding on your rotor if it's that bad. Don't risk your rotor too, take it back to your LBS for their help. If it needs bled, I would like to think they'd comp you for it as the bike is only 3 months old and Hayes should not need bled in 3 months. fyi - my Hayes are 1.5 years old and have never been bled.

mountain biker

replacing pads....

Quote Originally Posted by Jesterrider
    You should not have to bleed your brakes already if they were set up properly. Worn out pads may be the cause, but you'd likely hear some grinding on your rotor if it's that bad. Don't risk your rotor too, take it back to your LBS for their help. If it needs bled, I would like to think they'd comp you for it as the bike is only 3 months old and Hayes should not need bled in 3 months. fyi - my Hayes are 1.5 years old and have never been bled.
    I'm running into the same problem, and I'm pretty sure it's the brake pads that are too thin. I tried replacing them, but the calipers are too close together and the pads don't fit. How do I separate the calipers enough to fit them and the rotor in???

They are the old(er) Hayes (2000) hydraulics...

Any bit of help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Sly

mtbr member
    I assume that the 2000 models operate basically the same as 2003 - legal disclaimer .
    That being said - if your pads are torched you can stick a screwdriver carefully between the pads to twist the pads open - gently now - be nice.

Once the pads are open you can take the pads out by grasping the little handle and pulling them out. Now comes the tricky part of retracting calipers - I often use a plastic tire tool to carefully back the calipers back into the socket. There is a stem inside the caliper - hit this with a tool and you can very easily bend it and the party is over!

When in doubt - take it to a trusted LBS - they can do it in minutes and for short $.

mountain biker

thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Jesterrider
    I assume that the 2000 models operate basically the same as 2003 - legal disclaimer .
    That being said - if your pads are torched you can stick a screwdriver carefully between the pads to twist the pads open - gently now - be nice.

Once the pads are open you can take the pads out by grasping the little handle and pulling them out. Now comes the tricky part of retracting calipers - I often use a plastic tire tool to carefully back the calipers back into the socket. There is a stem inside the caliper - hit this with a tool and you can very easily bend it and the party is over!

When in doubt - take it to a trusted LBS - they can do it in minutes and for short $.
    I'll give that a try...