mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Replacing my hydraulic brakes.

I don't know anything about hydraulic brakes. I skimmed a primer just to familiarize myself with the terminology.

So i have my brother's mountain bike and want to replace the hydraulic brakes with a new brake set. I'm considering replacing the entire system: rotor, caliper, levers, hoses. It's a 6 bolt disc mount. Can I replace the brake set with any set or is there specific mounts and sizes I should look for? Rear/front caliper mount, are they standard?

I'm replacing a Hayes Sole, and considering an Avid Juicy 7.

Replacing my hydraulic brakes.-003_zps6a471b5d.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You can replace your brakes with any Disc brake set on the market. However there are two kinds of disc brake mounts, IS and PM. For the rear brake (your current Sole is IS standard as seen from the picture) you will probably need an adapter. Look for PM to IS Rear 160 mm adapter. For the front it depends on your fork whether it has IS or PM mounts.

There are tons of different models of disc brakes on the market, choose wisely. My advise is go with Shimano, but then again there are many other good manufacturers that you might prefer.

Merendon Junkie
    Why do you want to replace the Hayes? What are you expecting of the new brake system that you think or feel the Hayes arent offering?

mtbr member
    whats your price range? and what do you dislike about your current brakes that you think new ones will help? thatll help the most.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Hayes Sole is not self adjusting.

This post was more for educational purposes than for asking for recommendations for brake systems. If anything, I was going to pick up a brake set on ebay for around $100 but I wanted to make sure they would work with my setup.