mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Replacing hose on Formula Oro K18

Greetings. Looks like I'm in the right place

I recently bought the K18 brakes and the front hose is much too short. I've bought the aftermarket hose kit so I can cut to the required length and reinstall the brake. Now I'm a bit of a novice really when it comes to disc brakes and I've never even bled disc brakes before. Though I'm a reasonably competent mechanic having put together my bike from the frame upwards. I gather I will need to do three things 1) remove the Dot 4 oil from the front brake 2) Cut and install the new hose 3) Bleed the brakes

I think I will be OK with bleeding the brakes (I at least have instructions for that!) but I'm unsure how I would proceed with steps 1 and 2. Also the hose kit came with one end already fitted, should this end go at the brake end or the caliper end? Are the other bits that came with it for connecting to the other end of the hose? Those bits look slightly different to what the current setup looks like. Do I need to remove bits from the existing hose and reuse them?

If it helps, this is what I bought http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=22471

I also have the Formula Bleed kit.

Any help much appreciated.

STINKY TOFU

hope this helps

I was right where you are a few days ago. If you can do brakes a car you can do these. You have four o rings. 2 are for the end that already have afitting on it. The other two are for the end that you'll be putting on yourself. One you remove one end from either the caliper or lever you see where they go. Basically they dont want you to reuse the old o rings. One of the most important things is make a clean cut on the hose. I used brand new blade in my utility knife. You want to make sure the o ring on the little barb the goes into the hose end sits snug up against the cut you make so fluid dosnt seep through and get in between the hose lining. Also make suree after assembly of your new fitting to push the hose end all the way p into the banjo before tightening. My diagram is pretty self explanatory. And just like a car DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. Thes fittings are far more fragile then a car so you can easily crack one of them or distort an oring if you do. As far as bleeding goes its the opposite of a car. Instead of using the brake pedal to force air out, you use the syringe to pull air out. I dont know if it helped, but as I was bleeding I pumped the brake lever a few times to try and force any trapped air out. Good luck and remember, measure twice, cut once
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the diagram. That's very helpful dragonhead08. I'll print that out and have a go at it tomorrow. Do I need to drain the system of oil before I fit the new hose? And do you have any tips on how to do that?

STINKY TOFU
    No need to drain the fluid. Just bleed. The only tip I would have is before attaching the syringe to the lever to bleed add add a small amount of brake fluid into the syringe so theres no chance of pumping air back into he system.
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

caliper bleed bolt (Torx)

I have a question on the bleed port in the caliper, which has a torx bolt. When replacing the hose, do you remove the torx bolt first then remove the banjo fitting? Or you can leave the torx bolt (bleed port)? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Is formula hose the same diameter as hope?

Hi all.
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but needs must as it is relevant!
    Just bought second hand bike for my partner. It has got formula oro k18 brakes on and has a leak coming from the hose at the lever end.
    I went to local dealer and bought new connector but seems as though the pipe is half a mm too think for the new connector. Do the hoses expand at all over the years?
    I have some hope brake hose that the new connector seems to fit but I'd like to make sure if it is suitable before I waste another connector as I've already wasted two by trying to fit to the current pipe!