mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Replacing "core" of Avid Elixir 7... Done it? Or...

So I replaced my shifters with XO Grip Shifts, since- well - I like 'em.

Problem is, the Elixir 7 brakes have an external reach adjust, and that bumps up against the Grip Shift body, and I can't get them as close in as I'd like too.

I e-mailed SRAM, and they suggested I replace the guts with XO parts, which have the internal adjuster that would allow me to slide the levers close to the shifter.

Has anyone done this? I downloaded the service manual for the X7/9, and while it is rocket science, it still looks like a few tools are specialized for the job.

I have been reading on brakes, and the Hope X2 appeal to me as an alternative.... But I'd only do that if I knew they would snug up against the XO Grip Shift body. I don't relish dishing out all that cash to wind up in t he same place.... OK - that makes two questions I guess.

Thanks All!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It is not difficult to do if you take your time. Certainly not any more difficult then rebuilding the lever (which is, in essence, what you are doing).

You will need a pair of snap-ring pliers (any hardware store will have these). I would personally go with a pair that switches from internal to external snap rings, as they will ultimately be more useful. They should come with several tips (90 degree and straight in a couple of sizes) and are fairly easy to figure out how to use.

You will need a small torque wrench (again, not that expensive, as long as you get a beam-type) and a crow's foot socket head, which is included with Avid bleed kits (which you will need after you replace the internals).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the tips. I do have the snap ring pliers -with the various tips. Also the beam torque wrench. The crows foot socket - no. But I will look at the bleed kit that I have, I didn't notice one when I gave it a quick perusal.

I will be reviewing the service guide before I start.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The crows foot may only come with the 'professional' kit. It is worth the money for the fittings/syringes/socket. Last time I looked, a set that included the proper metric crows foot socket cost at least $30, while the kit costs only a bit more. You could always guesstimate the appropriate torque with an 8mm open-ended wrench.

If you've [n]ever tried to de-gas the DOT fluid with the included 'hose clamps' (and I use that term extremely loosely) have a very small pair of vise-grips handy. Using it to close the included clamps works far better. Alternatively, a proper flow restrictor, with a small plastic wheel, for surgical tubing will work (plastic locking forceps, available from medical supply stores, also work extremely well). Basically, anything other than the dinky red plastic clamps they include.