This space for rent!

Replacing Avid Elixir R brakes with XTR on Trek Fuel EX

All,

Been searching through posts, didn't find anything conclusive. I've got a Trek 2010 Fuel EX 9 with stock brakes - Avid Elixir R. They've been a total pain in the a$$ for the last 2 years. I get the 'turkey warble' in the back, constant rub in the back, and the front tends to lose pressure, and require many pumps occasionally to get lever to normal position. LBS has worked on it, but issues return shortly. I'm thinking either XT or XTR brakes, but the shared mount with the SRAM shifters would make that tough. I've heard the newer Elixirs might be better, but still not up there with XT/XTR. Anyone find a mount to allow SRAM X9 shifters to work with a XT/XTR brakes, or had better luck with newer Elixir brakes?

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Replacing Avid Elixir R brakes with XTR on Trek Fuel EX

I ditched Avids on 2 bikes for XT and Zee brakes. Both have SRAM shifters hanging from the Shimano brakes with Problem Solvers Mismatch adapters. They aren't cheap but they work great.

This space for rent!
    I ended up ordering a single XTR rear Trail brake, and the stock SRAM shifter mounts. So I'll have separate mounts for the SRAM shifters and XTR brake. Will see how it goes, then order the front brake if everything in back goes well. Should be here in a couple days.

Chuck