mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Replacement Rotors for 07 Magura Marta SL?

my setup is 200mm front, 180mm rear, and i see that magura doesn't make the marta sl rotors any more. are there others i can use (including their newer storm rotors), and can i use a 203mm to replace my 200mm? i don't care about brand loyalty, just having rotors that perform. thanks!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    my setup is 200mm front, 180mm rear, and i see that magura doesn't make the marta sl rotors any more. are there others i can use (including their newer storm rotors), and can i use a 203mm to replace my 200mm? i don't care about brand loyalty, just having rotors that perform. thanks!
    pretty much any rotor with work.. as long as it's the right size. as to going to a 203 just look at the wear line on the old rotors.. if it's out on the edge, you should have no issues, it it's tighter to the arms from the hub... maybe not... also depends on the new rotor's face width.. if they have a wider contact face for the pad it shouldn't be an issue. remember, the 203's are actually only 1.5 more at the caliper...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks. i'm thinking the newer magura storm 203mm would fit. i asked one lbs and they said they would. thx.

BANG!!!
    You need to replace it with a Magura rotor. If memory serves me correctly Magura uses thicker rotors then everyone else. So if you put. lets say, a avid rotor with on a magura system your lever wont grab till the end of its stroke and the feel will be off.. Tech FAQ: Lennard Zinn on rotors and drilling frame drain holes
    SMART enought to think about it, to STUPID to care

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmallen11 View Post
    You need to replace it with a Magura rotor. If memory serves me correctly Magura uses thicker rotors then everyone else. So if you put. lets say, a avid rotor with on a magura system your lever wont grab till the end of its stroke and the feel will be off.. Tech FAQ: Lennard Zinn on rotors and drilling frame drain holes
    I believe the wear out point of Magura rotors is around 1.5mm. They are about 2mm new. I think Avid rotors are 1.7mm new. So, if Avid rotors won't work, then, Magura rotors will be unusable long before their wear out point.

I believe the caliper will self adjust to compensate for the thickness of the rotor. So, any rotor of the same size should work. Will it work as well as the Magura brand rotor? Maybe not. Is the caliper designed to work with a rotor that wears thinner than 1.5mm? Maybe not. But, new, it should work.

That all said, i would get the Storm SL rotor and shim with a small washer to compensate for the slight radius increase. Or, buy a new adapter.