b a n n e d

Replacement pads for Hopes

I recall a number of threads saying that hope pads suck and that there was consensus about a better alternative. Can't find the threads though . . . . can someone point me to the threads or suggest some different pads?

≈ > ♥
    I like Fibrax sintered pads in my Hopes. available @ CRC

mtbr member
    I have had no issues with the Hope pads. They might take a while to bed, but after that they are great.

If you really do not want to use them, alternatives include Jagwire and Brake Authority - both good.

b a n n e d
    Nah, they are fine so far. Still waiting on them to fully bed in, but I notice a difference with each ride.

mtbr member
    For the better, I am hoping (no pun intended).

mtbr member
    I'm happy with Goodridge sintered (G-star) pads for my Tech M4s. Much much better than the stock organic pads which didn't work well for me on the front brake (on the rear they work fine though).
    They aren't the cheapest pads available though. I think some day I may give some cheaper pads a try, like those from discobrakes.com, superstar components, etc.

The Goodridge pads, however, have a really thick layer of friction material, about 25% more than most other pads (same total thickness, but the copper plate is about 0.5 mm thinner than others). They also wear fairly slowly (including muddy conditions), so they may turn out cost effective in the end.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    EBC pads work great too!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    For the better, I am hoping (no pun intended).
    Yes, definitely . . . a fresh bleed also helped. I can now lock up the rear tire instantly and I need to actually stiffen up my fork a bit as the brake dive has gotten really bad (which is a good thing!)

I am starting to wonder though if perhaps I should have gotten an M4 for the rear too. I notice that the X2 begins to pop/grind when it gets real hot (it sounds like pads hitting rotor spokes), which happens pretty regularly even on relatively simple descents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I am starting to wonder though if perhaps I should have gotten an M4 for the rear too. I notice that the X2 begins to pop/grind when it gets real hot (it sounds like pads hitting rotor spokes), which happens pretty regularly even on relatively simple descents.
    Which rotors are you using? Floating may help to minimize the expansion and noise (I am guessing on expansion leading to the rotor arms being hit).

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Which rotors are you using? Floating may help to minimize the expansion and noise (I am guessing on expansion leading to the rotor arms being hit).
    Already using floating rotors. 183 in front and 160 in back. I am thinking of switching the back to 183 as well and either upping the front to 203 or leaving it as is. I like having the stronger braking up front though so I might go for the 203.

mtbr member
    Sounds like 185/183 could be the way to go. No point increasing the front if you are not having any issues with it.