mtbr member
    Mar 2009

replacement pads

I'm looking for some suggestions on a new set of brake pads for the hayes 9's that are on my 2006 gary fisher hoo koo e koo. I want to change them before I start riding this year.

thanks

mtbr member
    don't get the hayes sintered metallic pads

Former Bike Wrench
    don't get the hayes sintered metallic pads
    Not sure where your getting that from, Hayes Sintered pads work quite well in the right conditions. The OP's question is incomplete to make any suggestion as there is no description of riding style, trail conditions, etc. that needs to be considered when selecting a pad compound.

mtbr member
    My experience is they only work well when wet. They'll stop you in the dry and fast too - but with quite a bit of frame vibrations and noise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Not sure where your getting that from, Hayes Sintered pads work quite well in the right conditions. The OP's question is incomplete to make any suggestion as there is no description of riding style, trail conditions, etc. that needs to be considered when selecting a pad compound.
    I ride mostly offroad trails that are 90% dry and dusty. The pads that are on the bike right now are the ones that came with the bike when I bought it new. I just dont like the pads that are on the bike now. It seems like no matter how hard I hit the brakes it takes a bit to stop. I thought maybe a softer pad would give me better stopping power.