mtbr member

New question here. Replace XO Trail brakes with XT?

My new bike came with XO Trail brakes. I was thinking I might as well replace them with XT 785 and sell the XO as new take offs.

The reviews I have seen rate the XO high on performance, but low on bleeding and maintenance. The XT, stellar everywhere. My old bike has XT 775 and they rock.

What do you guys say? Replace or keep? Money is not a factor for this swap.

mtbr member
    Avid brakes are crap - nothing but problems. Had the X0's, XX's and Juicy 7's. Pads rubbing, burnt rotors, warped rotors, sticky pistons, slow lever return. Name an issue and it happened to my Avid's.

Couldn't be happier with the new XT's which are on my girlfriends bike. Awesome power and modulation.

mtbr member
    I've never seen a good review for Avid brakes on these forums, so if you get 50 replies, they'll all sound just like the first one you got. For my part, I must have some lemons, because my XO's have been trouble free.

undercover brother
    Never used avids, but never hear anything but negative reviews. I love my XTs!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Had alot of problems with avid brakes. Sent mine 2x to the dealer and just told them to sell it for me. My friend is also encountering the same problems. Noisy and would lock up.

I have xtr brakes with xt 6 bolt rotors now and never had a problem for more than a year now

6BR
    mtbr member
    Got some new xt's myself and couldn't be more pleased with their performance and feel & I'm tipping the scales at around 210-215lbs.
    Last edited by 6BR; 08-02-2013 at 05:07 AM.
    A troll's day:1.Log on 2.Write sh*tty comments 3.Laugh 4.Notice dick is still small 5.Weep openly 6.Have mom make him a PB&J

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    What do you guys say? Replace or keep? Money is not a factor for this swap.
    Replace them with Shimano Saints. More power than the XT, along with better feel & control.
    The dimpled brake levers also feel much nicer than the plain XT ones.

6BR
    mtbr member
    Well in that case, since $ isnt a factor go XTR or perhaps the Saints as aerius referenced.
    A troll's day:1.Log on 2.Write sh*tty comments 3.Laugh 4.Notice dick is still small 5.Weep openly 6.Have mom make him a PB&J

g3h6o3
    I have limited experience with Avids btu tried some this past weekend on a coupel of different Rocky Mountain demos. All I can say is "Where is the modulation?"

I run XTRs 988 and although they can feel like they lack power, I can stop on a dime when I need/want to, yet they have extremely good modulation. The Avids were so On-Off it scared the hell out of me. I'd say go for Shimanos but YVMV!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Have X0 trails on my Nicolai and XT's on my Trek,XT's are very nice but the Trails have more power,nicer feel and i prefer the levers of the Trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Avids are not bad brakes, despite lots and lots of terrible feedback on them on here. When set up right and bedded properly, I think they work well most of the time. Mine don't even make noise unless wet...That said, I have a new bike that came with XT's and they are better in every way I can think of: modulation, power, ease of maintenance, resistance to fading (Ice Tech 180mm), ergonomics. They are great. So, since $ is not a factor, I would definitely go XT or XTR.

mtbr member
    Why would you replace them if nothing is actually wrong with them yet? I say just ride them for a while and see if you like them or not and then upgrade later only if they don't meet your expectations. We are at a point where the expectation is that all Avid brakes are crap; simply not true. My Elixir 7s are great - I had to run a different rotor to get rid of the noise, but they have been trouble-free for over a year. To be honest though, if I got a new bike and could choose the brakes (doing a build), I would likely give XTs a try.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Great prices on SLX/XT/and XTR over at bluesky. I know you said money isn't an issue, but if you can recoup most of your cost and get the upgrade...