mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Replace Ice-Tech with the same or try Ashima Ai2?

I've got the complete XT Trail setup with the Ice-Tech rotors and heat-sink pads currently. I've put about 700 miles on them including long descents (4k-7k ft) that put some serious heat into them. I was going to try and scuff them when I replace the pads but in case they can't be saved, I'll have to replace them.

I was wondering how the Ashima Ai2 rotors compare to the Ice Techs. I love the breaking power and confidence of the Shimano stuff but they're heavy and expensive. I'll never be doing that kind of descents again so I'm not concerned about that, but I'd still like to keep the braking power.

mtbr member
    Stick to the standard stuff - less pad wear and more brake power. Simple logic : less material to grab on to with the Ai2 rotors = less braking power. I have ridden both

mtbr member
    If you need enough braking power to need trail brakes, then you don't want super light weight rotors. Lighter rotors haven't got the mass to dissipate heat like your stock rotors do (that's why they're so heavy) but other than that, stopping power is really quite good on them. However, the heat that you put into a light rotor like that will quickly have an adverse affect on your braking (and possibly your health) if you're doing anything more than somewhat aggressive XC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    Stick to the standard stuff - less pad wear and more brake power. Simple logic : less material to grab on to with the Ai2 rotors = less braking power. I have ridden both
    I was thinking the same thing. A buddy runs the Ashimas and swears by them. He's a much bigger guy than me and rides WAY more aggressively, but he also goes through parts like crazy.

Have you ever had any luck "resurfacing" the Ice-Techs? Mine aren't as bad as I thought so I was going to give them a quick once-over with some fine sandpaper but I know they're a multi-layer design and didn't know how much surface I could remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    If you need enough braking power to need trail brakes, then you don't want super light weight rotors. Lighter rotors haven't got the mass to dissipate heat like your stock rotors do (that's why they're so heavy) but other than that, stopping power is really quite good on them. However, the heat that you put into a light rotor like that will quickly have an adverse affect on your braking (and possibly your health) if you're doing anything more than somewhat aggressive XC.
    I'm really just a casual rider. I don't race or do anything crazy. When I built the bike, I built it for a ride we were doing this year, the San Juan Hut tour from Durango, CO to Moab, UT. I knew we'd have some major descents so I wanted brakes I could depend on in the middle of nowhere. These things were bulletproof!
    But now that the ride is done and I really don't see myself doing anything like that again, I was just kicking around the idea of lighter rotors if I were replacing them.

Thanks for the input!