mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Replace Hayes hydraulic with mechanical disc brakes on a 2003 Trek Liquid 20

I own a 2003 Trek Liquid 20.

It has Hayes HFX-9 XC Hydraulic Disc Brakes. They are absolutely horrible. The hydraulic system often fails and needs reflushed, they are very finicky, and easily fall into mal-adjustment.

I just bought a 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper with mechanical disc brakes and they are much more dependable and robust.

I would like to replace my Liquid 20's brakes with a set of mechanical disc brakes. Can someone recommend a good set/kit to do this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Avid BB7s are....

about the best system going for mechanicals. Just do yourself a favor and get a set with the G2 Clean Sweep rotors if you can find em. The "Roundagons" even the new improved models are howlers in many applications. Though the new Roundagon rotors are quieter for the most part. Even if you have to buy the G2's seperately it's worth it in the long run IMHO. Anyway, the Avids are the easiest to set up, maintain, adjust, and IMHO the best in quality of any of the mechanical disc brakes I've ever used.

The only other additional item that you MUST have to set the bike up with mechanicals is brake levers of course.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How can I be sure the brakes are compatible with the brackets on my trek liquid 20? I haven't been able to find any documentation on compatibility of these brakes with various frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The best way would be....

to post a pic of your current set upl. I know the older Trek frames, 00 and 01 I believe used a Hayes direct mount system, which wouldn't be compatable as the brake mounts directly to the chain stay. If I remember correctly though with 02 and newer frames Trek went to an adapter system. The adapter mounted to the seat stay and then the caliper mounted to adapter. Then later yet they went to the standard IS mounting sytem which allowed the mounting of any brake to the frame using the adpater provided by the brake manufacturer. I just don't remember the time line on all of this off the top of my head. If I could see your current set up I could let you know.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2007

AVID BB 7's

Go with the Avid BB 7's, by far the ONLY mechanical setup that works well and still has a similar acuation as hydro systems.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by karavshin
    I own a 2003 Trek Liquid 20.

It has Hayes HFX-9 XC Hydraulic Disc Brakes. They are absolutely horrible. The hydraulic system often fails and needs reflushed, they are very finicky, and easily fall into mal-adjustment.

I just bought a 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper with mechanical disc brakes and they are much more dependable and robust.

I would like to replace my Liquid 20's brakes with a set of mechanical disc brakes. Can someone recommend a good set/kit to do this?

Go with the Avid BB7s. I recently made the same move as you ditching the Hayes 9s that came stock on my '04 575. They were great for about a year but have been problematic ever since then, even with regular maintenance. I wanted something more reliable and was stuck with a really tight budget. Went with Avid Speed Dial 7 levers, Jagwire Ripcord cables/housing, and the '08 BB7s off JensonUSA (185 front, 160 rear), think the whole setup was only around $170. Absolutely love this set up, very smooth and powerful one finger braking, been very impressed as this is my first experience with the mechanicals. Easy to set up as well and haven't had to adjust them at all since then.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa