mtbr member

Removing the front wheel

Hi folks. I'm wondering if i ought to use a pad spacer when transporting my bike sans front wheel. Is this common? I have hydraulic disks and I don't want the pads to shift. A newbie question, but yes, I'm new to hydraulics.
    "Geologic time includes now."

EDR

Re: Removing the front wheel

I think if you're transporting your bike a very long way it certainly wouldn't hurt. But I also think most of us simply don't bother with it, and we simply make sure not to touch the front brake. If you do happen to squeeze the brake lever it's not the end of the world. You simply push the Pistons back in with a soft plastic tool or even a screwdriver if you're careful.
    Tire levers work real well if they are plastic because you can push them directly on the brake pads. That way you don't have to remove the pads to get to the calipers.

If using a metal object like a screwdriver you want to remove pads first and press on the center of the calipers so you don't damage anything.

mtbr member
    Thanks! So there's nothing to worry about unless the front lever is pressed? Do the calipers squeeze together, and I'd simply separate them with the tire lever?

EDR

Re: Removing the front wheel

Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    Thanks! So there's nothing to worry about unless the front lever is pressed? Do the calipers squeeze together, and I'd simply separate them with the tire lever?
    Exactly.

The spacers are primarily used when shipping a bike in a box. The only caution I would add is that if the levers are pressed multiple times the Pistons could be pushed out of the calipers themselves and oil leak out, that would be a problem. But not very likely just transporting your bike to and from a trailhead. Bottom line is that spacers are overkill and not really needed if you just be a little bit careful.

Most of us have transported our bikes to and from the trailhead hundreds of times without ever even thinking about using spacers. So no worries.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much for helping me out!