mtbr member

Removing the brake pad retainer bolt for the Avid Elixirs??

I have removed the C-clip, and unscrewed the pad retainer bolt to what seems to be the limit (the pin twists freely w/out extracting anymore), where the pad retainer bolt tip (where the c clip was attached) becomes flush with the first (closest to the wheel) caliper hole, but then seems to be stuck in the caliper still... It spins feely but does not extract further than that. I have used some force to try to push it out and to pull it out, but it won't extract... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(btw I have read the sram manual )....
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

Toilet Assasin
    Apr 2009

Idea!

Hi Bellullabob,
    I replaced my front and rear pads on saturday with no trouble removing the bolts at all, my guess is that one of the pads or the spring is slightly out of alignment preventing easy removal, have you tried wiggling the pads and spring around as you try to remove the bolt?

If this isn't the case then i cant really see whats stopping the bolt coming out short of it being bent. I take it you are replacing the pads? if so give it a good tug, cant see it damaging anything if you pull it straight.

If that doesnt solve it then remove your wheel and try some gt85 on the bolt as if the pads are being replaced then you dont need to worry about contaminating your pads, just make sure the disk is out of the way ;-)

Hope i have been of some help, and good luck.

Dan.

mtbr member
    dan,

thanks for the suggestion. I did all those things: I tugged, I jiggled, I forced, and I danced w/ no luck. The retainer bolt spins freely, and I moved the pads and spring to make sure nothing was interfering. As I am typing this though, I am realizing that I did not try to remove the front, so maybe I'll try that and see how that goes. If the same problem occurs, then I know I am doing something wrong....
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

Toilet Assasin
    Apr 2009
    Im stumped then mate to be honest, the elixers on my stumpy are by far the easiest brakes I have had to change pads on, must be something a miss, as you suggested try the front to see if you have trouble.

How do you find the elixers btw? I love em, only brake i have used where the power and modulation is so good that you can slow down adequatly using only the rear, without locking! awesome IMO.

mtbr member
    They are pretty nice so far and are pretty powerful (even w/ the 140 mm disc in the rear) . They came on my epic so they have the ultimate levers w/ the elixir calipers. I do think the modulation on my Magura Marta sl are better though. I also think the self centering on the martas is also better. I don't have that much time on them yet, where I have had my marta's for years so maybe I just need to get used to these before making a comparison... I got home very late last night so I have not yet had a chance to try the front brake yet.

My bike/ race Blog

himom!
    Apr 2006
    One of my Elixirs brakes had this problem (the rear one). My LBS dremeled the bolt out and had Avid send a new one.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Apparently the tip/end of the screw that the clip attaches to has gotten mushroomed a tiny bit and won't back out. I'd bet you could rotate the screw and run a small file on the tip to remove the burr/mushroom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Apparently the tip/end of the screw that the clip attaches to has gotten mushroomed a tiny bit and won't back out. I'd bet you could rotate the screw and run a small file on the tip to remove the burr/mushroom.
    that is what i ended up doing and it is now fine

My bike/ race Blog